hosepipe blows off tap with pressure

Hi,

I have two typical 'hoselock' hosepipes and connectors. They refuse to hold water when not being used, like with those gun attachments you get that can be turned off without turning the main tap off. I connect these to outside taps, even though I turned the mains water pressure down, after about 30 seconds of non use, the hose fills with water, drips at the main tap and other connections, then blows off under pressure. This is annoying and I'm sick of the garage getting flooded.

Is there any screw on connectors that can be bought that I hope will be better than the push on stuff? Maybe there is some other solution....

James

Reply to
James

Are you using real Hozelock, because I've not had any trouble with them, ...and did you really turn the pressure down or merely reduce the flow - two different things.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

In message , James writes

Pressure, or flow?

What exactly is blowing off? is the pushfit connector coming away from the 'spigot ' on the tap or what

Well for the tap connection you could use screw on hose spigot and a jubilee clip.

I'm wondering about the problem, we had v. good water pressure in Leeds, I had plenty of Hozelock ' fittings and never had problem (I did have various problems with cheapie copies, primarily early failure due to poor quality materials.

Have you tried things like wswapping around fittings etc, maybe the Hozelock spigot fitting on the tap is worn?

Reply to
chris French

I turned the lever at the point where the mains comes in, I guess I reduced the flow. How can I get the pressure reduced?

It is genuine hozelock stuff...

James

Reply to
James

I have the same problem, I live downhill from the pumping station, that also server the hill above me. I beleive the solution is to put a preasure reducing value on the rising main. I also have issues with taps, ball valules showers etc not holding the preasure.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Something like this: RWC 15MM ADJ PRESSURE REDUCING VALVE - part no: 171405 on

give a picture and some details.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

You can buy brass Hoselock type fittings - much, much better. Cost more but you only buy them once.

david lang

Are there O-rings on the Hozelock fitting? That might explain your predicament (see my other thread on Where To Buy such O-rings).

Mungo

Reply to
mungoh

Some hoze taps are supplied with a brass screw-on fitting which has a fluted outlet tube onto which you can push a hosepipe, and secure it with a jubilee clip. If yours doesn't have one, you should be able to buy one loose.

Having said that, I'm not quite sure why you're having problems. Presumably with your Hozelock fittings, you have one bit which screws onto the tap and whose outlet is in the form of a spigot with an O-ring in a groove. Then the bit on the end of the hose snaps onto the spigot. Is that right?

Are these two fittings separating from each other, or are they staying together, and the hose pulling off the second fitting?

If the former, make sure that the hose fitting is pushed firmly onto the spigot so that it snaps into position. It is sometimes helpful to pull back the sliding collar on the hose fitting as you fit it, and then to make sure that it snaps back into the original position.

If the latter, make sure that the end of the hose is cut off exactly square, and that it is pushed all the way into the fitting before the retaining collet nut is done up. The nut requires *strong* hand pressure.

Have you measured your mains pressure. Mine is about 4 bar at zero flow, and I have very little problem with hose fittings coming apart if I proceed as above. If your pressure is significantly higher than this, you may need a pressure reducing valve. Simply restricting the flow won't reduce the pressure when there *isn't* any flow!

Reply to
Set Square

Technically known as a 'cap & liner'. Typically a 3/4" BSP x 1/2" tail cap & liner.

Dave

Reply to
david lang