Hosepipe bans - do they only apply to mains water?

Who cares? It isn't our fault the water companies have been allowed by the government to underinvest, not fix leaks, not build more reservoirs.

If everyone obeys the diktat and is really careful with water and the result is we don't totally run out, that will just encourage the water companies and the government in their evil ways.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Or creatively stretching the rules, a bunch of neighbours could get together and organise a "charity car washing event" apparently that's allowed to use pressure washers (though they do recommend sponges and buckets) according to yorkshire water website!

Reply to
Andy Burns

so therefore the professional window cleaner can't use a hosepipe to connect his long pole with the tank in his van?

Reply to
SH

but a pressure washer has a flexible hosepipe on it for the conveyance of water!

Reply to
SH

When I quoted that elsewhere, I was told that the 2010 Act was now the relevant legislation. Perhaps I should quote both in future :-)

Reply to
Colin Bignell

There is not a simple yes/no answer to that question, because each of the water undertakings can, within the limits set by the Acts, choose what restrictions they impose and to which class of user they apply.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

It I can use one to wash the van?

Not that that will ever happen.

Reply to
ARW

And there was me thinking that you believed in a free market without government controls.

Reply to
Bev

Ah, an article that distinguishes between mains water and rain/grey water:

"Customers can still carry out these activities if they use water from a bucket or watering can; or use water that is not sourced from the mains such as grey water, rainwater from a water butt through a hosepipe, or private boreholes for example."

I bet I wouldn't be popular if I tried to take any water out of the stream at the bottom of our garden, though ;-) And, no, I wouldn't dream of it.

Reply to
NY

But if it was installed long before the drought (and before we even bought the house) it cannot be construed as an attempt to circumvent the hosepipe ban.

Let's hope it doesn't get to the state that it got to in 1976 when (in some parts of the country) domestic house water was cut off and people had to fill containers from stand pipes in the street. We were within a few days of getting standpipes when the "Red Indians" (so called on News at Ten) did their rain dance and the heavens opened, meaning that the decision was reversed. Whether that was the right decision is another matter given that parched ground doesn't absorb much water and it just runs off into drains and streams/rivers, so there was still the same need for watering of gardens.

Reply to
NY

My reading of the wording on the Yorkshire Water site "Customers can still carry out these activities if they use water from a bucket or watering can; or use water that is not sourced from the mains such as grey water, rainwater from a water butt through a hosepipe, or private boreholes for example." is that people can continue to use hosepipes without restriction,

*as long as* the water comes from a private borehole or from gathered rainwater (eg stored in a water butt).

It is worrying that some people are suggesting that even non-mains water (grey, rain, private bore) cannot be fed through a hosepipe.

Reply to
NY

Near where I used to live in Oxfordshire, about 15 years ago, there were plans (abandoned after a while) to build a new reservoir which would have resulted in the compulsory purchase of a lot of land, and blighting the sales of houses in the affected area. I did a bit of research (which I triple-checked because of the gob-smacking figures) and found the capacity of the proposed reservoir and the daily losses of water due to leaks. I went along to the consultation meeting and "innocently" asked a question "Is it true that the losses *per day* by leakage are greater than the capacity of this proposed reservoir? If they fixed the leaks, there would be no need for this reservoir." There were a lot of red faces, a lot of "surely not" expressions from the "expert panel" and then a reluctant admission that I was perfectly correct. The audience went wild and the meeting degenerated into a farce after that. I did feel slightly sorry for the expert panel because my question was probably a bolt from the blue, and they had not been briefed on how to counter it.

Reply to
NY

Very near here, in a valley near the university, they compulsorily purchased land around 1975 in preparation for flooding to make a new reservoir. That included bungalows that they rented out yearly to students.

Every now and then the plans are revived, the latest being recently.

Its capacity would feed the water leaks country wide for just two days.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ah, your reservoir was a lot bigger than mine. Mine would only feed the leaks for the Thames Water area, and only for one day.

In my case, I wouldn't have been directly affected by the reservoir because it was far enough away from my village, but it would have meant a very long detour in getting from home to some clients because the direct route on a quiet B road would be diverted onto a busy A road with very busy (at rush hour) junctions onto the A34.

Reply to
NY

It would have affected my trip to work, at least while they built it.

However, I only worked there for 39 years, so I am;now retired and it doesn't matter!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Section 76 et seq of the 1991 Act are the operative provisions. That's why the 2010 Order refers to them, not to the 2010 Act.

If you want to be precise (not to say precious) you can refer to section

76 of the Water Industry Act 1991 which was substituted by section 36 of the Flood and Water Management Act 2010.
Reply to
Robin

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that the ban on washing vehicles has an exception for "a goods vehicle, as defined in section 192 of the Road Traffic Act

1988". That includes a van. So you can wash away.

The bad news is I bet your MD knows that.

PS Don't apprentices wash the vans? I'd have thought they'd be told it's Karate Kid-style training.

Reply to
Robin

Not when it comes to the water supply. I've always regarded it as an exception.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Right, the rules seem to vary. Some country locations use bore holes, and in many places there is rationing of this resource as it does not all exist just for you. Then there are those who only use simply trigger sprays on a hose pipe.This in many cases is seen as being responsible, even if the neighbours report you. Grey water or rain water from a But you can do what you like with that, but the main thrust as was pointed out ont ' radio the other day, is the use of sprinklers which are just left on to keep the lawn green.

These days however, increasingly underground holed pipes are used for this, and nobody know except by your metered supply Then there is washing the car, Mixing concrete which of course has to still go one, and I've never heard of any common ruling there. There is even in some places where people are disabled and cannot carry watering cans, special privileges, but you have to ask.

I personally feel anyone growing food in their garden should be able to use water, if we are serious about getting good food at cheaper prices. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message <td6bt9$2j7q0$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, NY snipped-for-privacy@privacy.invalid writes

As a riparian land owner you should be entitled to take up to 20 cu m/day! Drought orders tend to override this:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb