Hose connection question

Dear all
Just bought a new hose, but the thread on the tap connection is slightly different to the thread on my outdoor tap, so it sprays everywhere.
What is the best way around this? I presume the thread on the hose connector is standard and the tap I have is old and sh1te. The hose is too thin to go over the tap nozzle, so I cant just go for the old jubilee clip around the hose trick.
Are there adapters for this kind of thing, or do I need to replace the tap
Cheers Ed

I don't quite understand. The thread is unlikely to be *slightly* different - unless one is of foreign origin - it will either be the same or completely different.
If completely different, it won't screw on at all.
If the same, it may possibly not screw on far enough - allowing water to leak through the threads. If this is the case, use a thicker (or additional) rubber washer inside the fitting.
If I'm missing the point, upload a photo somewhere and post a reference to it here.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

I bought a tap connector recently for a friend and I have also seen them in Homebase and you get two different fittings slightly different sizes .like these http://www.garden4less.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod !58
http://www.garden4less.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod !75 Stuart
Shift THELEVER to reply.
Thanks - however they supplied both with this hose. The large one looks like it should be right, but just isnt.

Outside taps I have seen have a bit that unscrews but I don't know what thread size it leaves when you take it off .Does yours or is it missing . .Looks like you might neeed a new tap fitted . Stuart
Shift THELEVER to reply.
On Wed, 18 May 2005 14:12:01 +0100, Stuart

Does yours look like this chappie. http://www.midkentwater.co.uk/services/household/setprice/outsidetap.htm Stuart
Shift THELEVER to reply.
Yes, I unscrew the end of the tap and that is where the offending thread is. And iirc the tap is a dodgy bodge job so I wont be able to simply unscrew it and replace it without a bit of pipework

The ones you quote fit taps with 3 different output thread sizes - 1/2"BSP (using adapter), 3/4"BSP and 1"BSP. These are all sufficiently different that there's no way in which the wrong one would *nearly* fit.
I'm still struggling to understand what sort of tap the OP has got.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

just wind in a new tap, they are cheap as chips really
Ed wrote:

Make sure the rubber washer is in place, and suitable.You might need different or thicker one.

The tap is very likely indeed to have a standard thread, no matter how old (well, at least 1/2 a century). If the plastic connector goes on without splitting or the threads being chewed up, that's not the problem.

Can you warm the hose up to expand it? You'll probably need a gas flame, used carefully. Your cooker or hob would do.

It sounds as if you've got two already (3/4" and 1" BSP)!
Chris Bacon wrote:

[...]
Hot, not boiling, water, I'd say. But that won't help if the tap has a screw thread on the outer end, which seems to be what we're talking about. I think there's something funny about the thread on either the tap or the hose-connector. Maybe Ed should borrow a couple of hoses from neighbours for comparison.
--
Mike.

Hi Chris

Dead right. All threaded taps are BSP threads, even in Europe. In 30 years of connecting pressure washers to taps I've never found a domestic tap that wasn't 3/4" BSP.
In industry you occasionally find 1" and rarely 1/2", but as you say, they are chalk & cheese.
It almost has to be 3/4" BSP which means the adaptor may be faulty - bad moulding or something. Try another one!
Dave

I have just connected up an outside tap and put a double adapter on it to run hoses to two different areas. I have used PTFE tape (think that's right ? ) because I had water squirting out. I still have a very slow drip, but it is manageable and certainly worth a try
--
Sue Begg
Remove my clothes to reply

There are 5/8" taps around - I used to have one!

Ditto. But a 3/4 connector wouldn't begin to stay put on a 5/8 tap - so that is unlikely to be the OP's problem.
--
Cheers,
Set Square
Set Square wrote:

When I had this problem, it was the (new!) washer, not being thick enough to squash between the plastic fitting and the brass tap. The water pressure is high enough here to easily squirt a jet over the house, which is a fairly tall one, for a two storey. Until I got the thing sorted out, water simply *hissed* out all over the place.
Hi Tony

People used them when washing away rocking horse droppings.
:-)
Dave

I know that connector sizes are not quite the same but, when looking through my father in law's collection of tap washers, there were a lot of 1/2" and 3/4", some 5/8" and two 9/16" ones.
There was also some sort of measuring implement that defeated the Whipple Museum, and I mean to send to the National Maritime Museum to see if they have a clue what it is. My father in law couldn't remember.
Regards, Nick Maclaren.