Horribly OT - PC Advice

Did him Zone Alarm, Spybot, Adaware, Thunderbird, Firefox and SP2, all of which he has to reinstall each time but it's straightforward stuff, even for a beginner. He had a particularly nasty rogue dialer that ended up costing BT a few quid

Reply to
Stuart Noble

OK... perhaps another to add to the list

SpywareBlaster

...it locks down loads of activex exploits.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

This is particularly difficult where the OS supplier deliberately maximises the incompatible versions in order to increase sales.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Look at the first RISC OS desktop and the Microsoft equivalent of the same date. Then come back here and retract your comment! ;-)

First consumer RISC computer, first multimedia computer, fastest most efficient when released, fastest most efficient when RiscPC released, fastest most efficient when StrongARM processor released for RiscPC.

Microsoft were always a million times better at marketing of course. ;-(

Reply to
John Cartmell

Yeah, I put that on as well. All the usual (free) suspects

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Thanks for the demonstration that you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Have a look at the Xerox Star, Lisa and Macintosh interfaces then come back here and eat humble pie.

No it wasn't.

No, it wasn't.

No,it wasn't.

And there's one of your problems, you think that the only alternatives were Acorn and Microsoft. Acorn couldn't design an interface even if they read all of "Tog on Interface" which they clearly did not.

The best claim that can be made for RISCOS was that it was marginally better than the BBC B. I can still recall the poor sods who used to come to companies for interviews claiming to be "computer literate" because they could use a Word Processor on a BBC B.

Reply to
Steve Firth

So how 'Johnny Come Lately' are you calling Microsoft's offering? ;-)

Presumably you missed Apple's public apology after they made their false claim in their adverts.

You could try suggesting one that was earlier.

Ditto

I'll happily acknowledge all the others. I certainly have done in all my teaching - and tend to be the only one even appreciating that anything outside Microsoft exists.

[Snip gratuitous insult]

RISC OS (not RISCOS). If you must be insulting (and wrong) at least get the name right.

[Snip gratuitous insult]
Reply to
John Cartmell

Amiga, 1985

See above.

Reply to
John Rumm

I don't think you realise what you're up against.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Xerox Alto 1973?

Andy Hall

really count as a multimedia platform (in the true sense of the word - before PC architecture dumbed it down to meaning "has a CD ROM drive and a sound card"). Things like Scala and Video Toaster defined a whole new capability.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not at all, technology moves on. There's nothing inherently wrong with the system, it's just 'old hat'.

I refresh my boxes every 2 - 3 years, usually with a new OS if available. It doesn't help that I work in IT too, so my home box needs to keep up with my work box.

Then all my castoffs cascade back down the family tree mine goes to sister, sisters goes to dad, ending up with nephews and nieces who are glad to get their hands on a 'pooter.

All recycled.

Cheers,

Paul (Pentium 4 1.8, 1Gb RAM)

Hmm, that's getting on a bit now too ... ;)

Reply to
zymurgy

I don't give a bugger about Microsoft's offerings. And it's a peculiar obsession of yours that any alternative to RISCOS can only be Micro$loth.

Presumably you know bugger all about the 6502?

Arguably the first multimedia applications were created in Smalltalk, commencing in 1983.

The Amiga was introduced in 1985 and is generally credited as the first multimedia computer.

In 1986 Apple released Hypercard which integrated videodisc control into MacOS (and incidentally predated Visual Basic as an easy software construction toolkit with multimedia extensions).

Also in 1986 Authorware released the first multimedia authorising system on any computer, "Course of Action" which was later renamed as "Authorware" and which remains to this day *the* standard for authoring multimedia content. It was released originally for the Macintosh and later for the IBM PC.

In 1986 Apple launched the Mac SE which could be fitted with a RasterOps Colourboard 264 giving full 24 bit colour, and the NuBus Macintosh II which could also take a 24 bit display card. Both systems shipped over a year before the first Archimedes systems.

The Archimedes didn't appear until late 1987 and could only offer 256 colour graphics compared to the 4096 of the Amiga and 16.7 million of the Macintosh.

Apple Introduced QuickTime in 1989 and Acorn didn't appear to support software video playback until 1984.

What you call "multimedia" was in truth simply videodisc transport control.

The fastest most efficient computer at the time of release of the Archimedes was the Ncube 10 which achieved 10 TIPS. The Macs of the time managed 3.9 MIPS, Acorn claimed that Archimedes computers could manage 4 MIPS but never published any benchmarks to support the claim. Also the version of Arthur released in 1987 would randomly delete files without warning, Acorn actually placed stichers on A305 and A310S to warn of the problem.

So hardly the most efficient computer available in 1987, was it?

Which is why you've had such a fetish about M$ in this thread, eh?

"Acorn couldn't design an interface even if they read all of "Tog on Interface" which they clearly did not."

Is not " a gratuitous insult" it's a statement of fact.

"The best claim that can be made for RISCOS was that it was marginally better than the BBC B. I can still recall the poor sods who used to come to companies for interviews claiming to be "computer literate" because they could use a Word Processor on a BBC B. "

Is not " a gratuitous insult" it's a statement of fact.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The 6502 (CISC - old architecture) chip was released the same year that the first (IBM) project to design a RISC chip for desktop computers was started. The IBM project was shelved but the Acorn project continued thanks to the brilliance of its design team. The Acorn RISC computers were released in 1987 and were the first desktop computers running RISC. Previous RISC computers had included the like of the Cray Supercomputers that cost a touch more than most home users could afford! Apple advertised their Newton computer (1993) as being the first RISC computer for home buyers having conveniently forgot that they had not developed the technolgy on which it was based (ARM - Acorn RISC Machine - processors) and that Acorn had not only developed the hardware (see Steve Furber) but had also produced the operating system (see Sophie Wilson) and had successfully marketed the product to home and education users as the Archimedes desktop machines.

And Bill Gates tried the same line in 1995. I think the Domesday system actually came first - but it does depend on how you define the term.

We were discussing home computers!

And the difference between CISC and RISC computers means that RISC computers complete many more instructions per cycle than CISC computers. You appear to be saying that the Archimedes were at least three times faster than the Macs of the time. Or had you not appreciated that fact?

[Snip]
Reply to
John Cartmell

Oh looky cut and paste. The 6502 although considered a CISC chip was in fact effectively a RISC chip and Acorn themselves used to brief that their experience with the 6502 had convinced them that there was value in RISC.

Your obsession with Bill Gates is showing. You also snipped (without marking the fact) the following:

[...]

And you failed to address the point that what the Archimedes advocates refer to as "multimedia" was simply the ability to control a videodisc.

You simply stated that it was the fastest most efficient computer at the time. You did not even try to claim it was the fastest most efficient microcoputer. A claim that is dubious at best, and you have snipped again without markign the fact my observation that the "efficient" Archimedes deleted data without warning, which makes any claims that it was efficient bogus and bunkum.

Are you as daft as you appear? MIPS a measurement of instructions per second, not instructions per cycle. Your comment above is a fine display of ignorance on your part.

Reply to
Steve Firth

No. I know the subject without having to do any cut and paste.

Effectively in what way? Certainly not effectively enough to stop IBM spending millions on development of a RISC computer after the 6502 was released - nor to help them complete their development.

Reference?

(Snip)

[Snip]

We were discussing home computers. You failed to record your change of subject.

I didn't see the temporary OS (Arthur) working - though your claim isn't borne out in any references I can find (quote Acorn User issue/page as I have a full set) - but the replacement (RISC OS 2) certainly had none of those problems.

[Snip]
Reply to
John Cartmell

What a gratuitously useless statement.

Sure, I have a friends who has 5 Linux macihnes running latest spec hardware 24/7 as he attempts to test out incredibly obscure series summations in his little hobby - which is investigating odd mathematical theorems.

BUT the OP was talking about his aging parents..and these typically want to write letters, and send e-mails and fill in their attendance allowance claim forms on line.

No need for massive hardware here.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Agreed, this is where most computng power goes these days. Running 3D video stuff.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well this machine has to be about 6-8 years old, celeron processor, win98SE and that is it. Its good enough to run everything I need right now, so why change it?

About the only tow things that stretch it are a flight simulator and Corel Draw/Photopaint.

I'd rather be on Linux, and this year maybe I will be...if I can get VMWARE going well enough to run the few WIN apps I need...ie6 occasionally for sites that wont work with anything else, and Corel Draw and the flight sim...;)

Pepel but computers on price and features, but my time as an IT professional convinces me that they should be buying on one thing alone

- support. Apart from the very few that are pushing the technology to the limit, one way or another.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher