Hoping to de-modernise flat heating system.

well that could be refractory ceramic fibre, and the jurys out as to whether this is as dangerous as asbestos :-

My gazco log-effect gas fire originally came with a pack of this white fluffy stuff which was placed around the 'logs' to simulate 'ash'.

latest models don't use this, but I think the logs are still made from it, but being 'solid' they aren't such a risk.

Reply to
Andrew

This sounds like a 1970's build flat, which means bugger all insulation because offpeak leccy was sooo 'cheap' back then.

The Offpeak circuit has been disabled so he is going to spending a fortune keeping warm.

You cannot have cavity wall insulation unless the freeholder has done it (unlikely). Only gutting and drylining with a couple of inches of celotex is the only effective way to insulate (assuming DG fitted).

If the OP has moved in already then he could only consider doing the non-kitchen+bathrooms one by one, but only if he is capable of the DIY required. If you have to pay someone it isn't economic unless you are going to stay there for a longish time, like 20+ years.

Reply to
Andrew

Hah! Have you *seen* my wiring???

I hate working with meter tails, I blunted my best breadknife trying to cut them.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

That's just what we need more of though, cabling with character.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Isn't that for the ones that have a separate supplementarty convection heater included as back up?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

There's character and there's character. If you want Gormenghast I could be just the chap.

Reply to
Robin

£100 each.
Reply to
ARW

The boost heater is 850W is for a 2kW Quantum storage heater so not a problem on either of the ring (I would assume that the rings are kitchen and rest of house). The reason I added separate timers was because there were no local sockets it was cheaper to spend £50 on 3 timers than my labour to run trunking all over the place.

If the op is happy with trunking or flex clipped to the top of the skirting to the nearest socket then the easiest way to do the job is connect the heater CU back into the time clock and do it that way.

Reply to
ARW

Nope, no fiber involved at all.

Nope, because there are no fibers involved. It has the same consistency as polyfoam, although obviously with a very different response to very high temperatures.

Mine isnt fluffy at all. Its solid like polyfoam.

So nothing like whats in mine.

Reply to
jeikppkywk