Home-made roller for vinyl flooring?

I'll be laying vinyl floor tiles using hand-spreaded adhesive. The pros use a hand roller to make sure the tales end up nice and flat. These are expensive hand tools to buy. has anyone found a cheap, easy way to make something that does the job equally well? I've heard of people using a rolling pin (the type with a handle at each end), but this is not ideal.
Thanks,
Al
AL_n wrote:

Why not just use a wallpaper seam roller?
http://snipurl.com/25ywhtw

Hi Phil, That would definitely be an option - thanks! Ideally, though, it would be wider (say around 6"-9"), to obtain a better degree of flatness, I would have thought. The purpose-built rollers generally see to be about that width, I think.
Al
On 12/27/2012 6:21 AM, AL_n wrote:

Perhaps an ink brayer would work - I have one about 6 inches wide.

Amazingly enough, I actually have one of them...somewhere! I must try and find it! Thanks...
Al
On Wednesday, December 26, 2012 5:42:40 PM UTC, AL_n wrote:

What size & weight roller do you want? A fair variety of rollers can be made from pvc pipe or steel drums with concrete fill.
So far I've used random weights, just whatever's round the house.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in

Hi NT, The room to be tiled is a small loo, so a lawn roller or similar would not be suitable. A small hand-held roller that allows a lot of pressure to be applied, would be best. Here is a purpose-built one: http://tinyurl.com/d9yujj8
Al
On Thursday, December 27, 2012 11:35:04 AM UTC, AL_n wrote:

Lol. That's why I mentioned plastic pipe
NT