Laying vinyl flooring Part II

Hello to those who replied to my request for info re laying vinyl flooring.

I could not get any cardboard big enough to make a template so in the end I used old computer paper. I did the floor in three sections: the L-shaped bit with the toilet, then the long bit with the radiator pipes, with the door at the other end. After a week of measuring, measuring, measuring again and laying the template down and measuring, measuring some more, I applied it to the vinyl and (gulp) cut it out.

I laid the vinyl on the floor yesterday, and while the edges matched to the walls, there were bulges in the middle of the vinyl. So I have spent today cutting away from the walls in order to flatten the bulges.

Result: a perfectly flat floor, but with some gaps at the edges of the walls and shower enclosure of as much as 4 mm. Never mind, eh? I fixed it all down with double-sided tape and it looks great. Next task: applying white silicone mastic all round to cover the gaps where the vinyl joins the wall.

The Medway Handyman was right about not doing this for a paying customer. I wouldn't even do it again for myself!

someone

Reply to
someone

Laying lino is no different than laying a carpet,stiffer to work with and thats it. Done my bathroom with it last year and never pissed about with any templating.

I suspect TMH finds it hard with either?

Reply to
George

Except you don't generally have to lay carpet around toilets and washbasin pedestals. Carpet can also be a lot more forgiving with the pile hiding the odd gap.

Got the cutouts right first time, did you?

Maybe you're just perfect and we should all strive to match your standards.

Reply to
Man at B&Q

If I'm fully tiling a bathroom, I leave a gap between the bottom of the tiles and the floor, sufficient for hardboard and vinyl to slide under, and the edge cuts are not then so important. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I've done my own rooms & can get it right - given enough time. I can't realsitically charge a customer for that amount of time for that job.

World of difference between what you find acceptable and what a paying customer does. Taking on a job you can't do well is a recipe for trouble.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Except you don't generally have to lay carpet around toilets and washbasin pedestals. Carpet can also be a lot more forgiving with the pile hiding the odd gap.

two screws on either and they will lift up sufficient enough to put vinyl under

Got the cutouts right first time, did you?

Oh yes,never heard of a tape measure?

Maybe you're just perfect and we should all strive to match your standards.

Hardly just common sense on any job.

The OP didn't need to faff about with templates,a tape measure and a marker pen is all's thats needed.

Reply to
George

snipped-for-privacy@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...

That's OK if they're screwed down. You haven't put vinyl round many toilets, have you? What do you do when the bog is cemented to the floor?

According to your previous comment, you didn't need to make the cut- outs I was referring to.

Maybe, maybe not (in your ideal world).

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com ...

That's OK if they're screwed down. You haven't put vinyl round many toilets, have you? What do you do when the bog is cemented to the floor?

Wirecoat hanger.

According to your previous comment, you didn't need to make the cut- outs I was referring to.

I've explained in the past how to use a wirecoathanger to aquire the cutouts.

Maybe, maybe not (in your ideal world).

I dont have an ideal world,just a logical approach,its how I got work when able to work.. MBQ

Reply to
George

That sounds clever, where did you explain it? I have tried groups advanced search with no luck.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison