Home Condition Reports abandoned

The inspector. A standard buyer-commissioned survey will always have a clause saying that it was prepared for the client alone and the surveyor accepts no liability to anyone else. An HIP report is prepared with the explicit understanding that it will be relied upon by any one of a number of prospective purchasers. Of course there will be all the usual disclaimer clauses but where a surveyor is grossly negligent these will not protect him.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

A BCO would not be doing the test.

That is why they changed the MOT rules and prosecuted dodgy dealers.

I read it was is under review. Intially it was to be fully blown check, but the estate agents, surveyors, etc objected (sharks the lot of them), so it was rolled back.

Yes the 40ish office working lady will notice all this of course. Duh!. Get real House selling is con mans dream. These checks to cut that crap out and protect these people from sharks.

She is not an electrician and can't even wire a plug.

Understand what an MOT is.

What it needs is proper house MOT to ensure the buyer gets a fully serviceable house and is not ripped off by sharks. Those who are against such schemes are...............sharks?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It is amazing the little minded ones are all Little Middle Englanders.

Dr Drivel is English. And a great tango dancer.

Being proud of being ignorant is odd.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I think Drivel means "Try TO". Try AND makes no sense, quelle surprise.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

No, (s)he is the one signing off the job. How he arranges tests OR NOT is up to him. It is not unknown for the job to be signed off with no test.

Maybe - I've not aware of any dodgey MOT stations near me, then I haven't been looking. But how can you be certain that there is not longer any such thing as a bent MOT cert issued on at least one car these days?

If I commission the MOT, I can choose an MOT station known to be thorough and watch the test being carried out. If I see an otherwise valid MOT cert on a vendor's car, I have no way of knowing if the tester had a bad day, was half asleep, or was a friend of the vendor and slightly bent with it.

So the government gave in and allowed to to become a pointless exercise. Do it properly or not at all.

Whilst I don't expect the buyer to know everything, I reasonably expect them to be aware they don't know everything and bring a mate/instruct a surveyor at their own cost to check it as much as they like. Stop expecting me to cotton wool the incompetent/ignorant/lazy.

I can deal with a fair amount myself, why do I want to pay (indirectly or directly) for something I can deal with? If a HIP was going to cost

600-1000 pounds, I could get a damn good drains inspection and a PIR if I wished for less than that.

Yes, it's that thing I need to drive a vehicle on public roads etc. I do not need an MOT to exists on a car I'm buying or selling.

The Kremlin just called for you:

they said they want their ideology back when you have a moment... >:|

Reply to
Tim S

Yes, that's how I read it.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I don't have a house. How can I have a something to hide?

??

tim

Reply to
tim

If that was true they would already exist, and would not require government compulsion. You are aware that many car dealers commission independent reports in advance of any sale? That does not and did not require law, it makes sense. If it made equal sense with houses, it would have been done long ago, by estate agents looking for a USP.

Reply to
Joe

No, because no indemnity insurer would have offered cover on the required basis (the same was true initially when Approved Inspectors were allowed to set up in competition with LABC) and no sane person would produce such reports without insurance. The HIP market is/was too big for insurers to ignore.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I agree. It makes a lot of sense to select which items to have a really close look at. A survey (even a 'full' structural survey) is fairly shallow. You can decide for yourself which aspect you need to investigate more closely even if you only have a basic understanding. In fact a flat in a block, that are properly occupied not all on the market at once, then a survey may be really useless looking at the management companies account and the service charge accounts would be much much more important.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Is the need for large-scale insurance cover not a comment on the perceived accuracy and usefulness of the report?

Reply to
Joe

You will find a house without double glazing will sell very slow. If there is a sale the cost of replacement may be costed into the final price.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

They are trying to get them - house MOT. That is/was the idea.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The point is a house MOT. The BCO is not involved. Boy are some people dumb.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Are you people sane? The middle aged spinster is going to know if the drains are dodgy, so get in all the relevant experts? What world are you plantpots in?

Anyone who disagrees with a house MOT in principle is someone who is hiding things.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Not my observation on such a house locally. Went pretty quickly.

Then again, we're all straw chewing pitchfork wielding bumpkins down here in Kent so what do we know...

Reply to
Tim S

The thought of a pitchfork-Drivel interface is strangely satisfying.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You will find you're talking bollocks. The condition of the windows and suitability to the property will be much more important to a buyer than the thermal properties. In some cases, new double glazing would seriously detract from the price.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Exactly. Around here you would not sell it quickly that is for sure.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I can't speak for Little Middle England, but in the real world single glazed houses sell slowly.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel