British Government To Use Space Satellites To Track Home Improvements

Prescott satellite to spy on your home.

Hi-tech cameras brought in to police home improvements and council tax dodgers

By Marie Woolf, Political Editor Published: 01 January 2006

John Prescott has told tax inspectors to use satellites to snoop on householders' attempts to improve their homes.

Images of new conservatories and garages taken from space will be used to hike up council taxes and other property levies, official guidance obtained by The Independent on Sunday reveals.

Mr Prescott's department is overseeing the creation of a database containing the details of every house in Britain to help tax inspectors to assess new charges.

Even minor improvements, invisible from the road, will be caught by "spy in the sky" technology that uses a mix of aerial and satellite images taken over time to spot changes.

Last night the Tories accused the Deputy Prime Minister of laying the ground for a "new stealth tax on home improvements".

Houses in the country will be particularly targeted. "Aerial photographs are very effective in rural areas where improvements are hard to see from the road," a handbook for property inspectors says.

The Tories warned of a Big Brother-style inspection regime which could see householders forced to reveal every detail of their homes, including the finish of a children's playroom or the type of central heating.

They accused the Government of using satellite technology to spy on families so they can levy stealth taxes.

Caroline Spelman, shadow Secretary of State for Local Government, accused Mr Prescott of invading people's privacy.

"The public have already expressed concern at the prospect of inspectors with cameras entering their homes. Now it appears that the Government will also be using aerial photography to invade people's privacy and lay the ground for a new stealth tax on home improvements," she said. "For many people who need more space but can't afford to move to a bigger house, the answer is to make improvements to their existing home, but it now seems they are going to be penalised for this through council tax hikes. It is catch-22, with home-owners being taxed if they move and taxed if they don't."

The Government is planning to compile a database of every home in Britain, which will include details of how many bedrooms each house has and what kind of roof it has.

Inspectors will look at whether garden sheds have been converted into offices or studios and whether kitchens or porches have been extended. They will even be able to see if a drive has been Tarmacked or a shrubbery extended. The computer system will be used to assess council tax, inheritance tax and capital gains tax.

A re-evaluation of property values will take into account home improvements, including extensions and conservatories to assess how much council tax a property should pay.

The Government has delayed re-evaluating property values after widespread concern that it could lead to a massive rise in council tax bills, which would particularly hit pensioners.

But the Government's Valuation Office Agency is still rolling out a "Computer Assisted Mass Appraisal" database across England. So far almost two million homes in England have had "value significant codes" recorded.

[...]

Andy

If the government's got the money spare to indulge in this sort of nonsense then the British electorate has a lot to answer for.

On the other hand, the best way to defeat such a scheme would simply be to make sure you apply for all the right planning permissions and declare all the stuff you're supposed to declare.

It's a bit like the single foolproof way to beat speed cameras...

Reply to
EC-10

Camo netting over your property.

Actually, this sounds more like something that would be posted on April 1.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Unfortunately, these days, that's not an April Fool's joke. The government (pick one; pick a country, even) believes that what you get is what you owe, and they want their tax/rental shot at everything we think we own.

Reply to
Charles Self

In Texas aerial photographs from an air plane are used to determine square footage for tax reasons.

Reply to
Leon

What would the result be?

more taxes collected, which is good for the public - better upkeep of streets, public buildings; more money for libraries, schools.

more expensive to improve one's home because of the resulting higher taxes on it; therefore less work for contractors; fewer sales of building materials.

Who knows what the bottom line is, except that it is achieved by moving money from individuals to the public treasury.

Why not do away with the satellite surveillance and the army of tax snoops and impose a tax on all retail purchases, with partial or full quarterly rebates for people whose income was below some amount?

Reply to
Borked Pseudo Mailed

I expect that by the time this lot is eventually kicked out of office, we will be bricking in our windows to avoid paying window tax!

Reply to
Ivan

'This lot' will never be kicked out of office. How can they be, when they are the only thing on the menu? They may wear red, or blue, or yellow - but they're still 'this lot'.

Reply to
EC-10

Why not indeed. While we're at it, we could transfer road tax to fuel so that the heavier and less economic your vehicle the more you'll pay, and also tax the living daylights out of second-home owners.

Reply to
EC-10

I am surprised that they even need surveillance of any kind. When I was living in England you had to have your TV license plainly visible in a front window and there was no shortage of private citizen busybodies who would walk around looking for people to report ... and that was 40 years ago.

Reply to
Swingman

And if one lived at the top of a three-storey apartment block, they used to come round with a ladder and a pair of binoculars, try telling that to the kids today....

Reply to
Ivan

Sounds like a good reason for having an anti aircraft gun.

Reply to
CW

Why? Doesn't the permit that allowed construction in the first place have all that information already? They don't let you build houses around here without any number of permits. And the lot size is already known just from subdividing the neighborhood.

What's to hide in terms of additions and outbuildings? Internal features are 'nother subject......

Reply to
George Max

On 1/2/2006 3:02 PM Swingman mumbled something about the following:

Proper overhead covering (tall trees) fixes that

Reply to
Odinn

You've misunderstood the scope of the situation ... it's when the 'back yard' is 80,000 acres.

Reply to
Swingman

Err... it's Google isn't it.

Google Earth, Google Maps - keep it quiet.

While they concentrate on ways of putting up Council Tax they seem to be ignoring the fact that an ever increasing number or people are refusing point blank to pay up. Just how many pensioners do you think they can send to prison.

Remember the fuel protests they'll shit themselves if something similar starts over the Council Tax, if it hasn't already.

It all just goes to show how right Maggie was all along with the Poll Tax. If they could have worked out a better way to collect it (payroll?) then I still think it would be a winner.

Reply to
allan tracy

eyes. But of course, the goverment might then impose a tax on piles of dirt left in the garden. :-)

Reply to
Ian Smith

About the only thing the LibDems have ever got right, a Local Income Tax. Young earners living at home find themselves minus a few quid from their wage packet every week, which goes towards providing local services and leaving them a few pounds less to spend down the pub, all in all a win-win situation.

Reply to
Ivan

I guess I am just tired on the various governments wanting more and more taxes .It is about time they were limited to what they currently get and no more . I am on a fixed income so every additional tax really hurts me in the pocketbook ,Never yet have they asked me if I can afford additional taxes . What do they do with the additional taxes and federal [Taxpayer] handouts , Blanko the Louisana governor just finished paying for renovation of one of her office floors ,Italian marble countertops and all, a little over 1/2 million, just makes my blood boil....

Reply to
mike hide

That just about sums it up doesn't it . whoever earns the money in my book has the right to spend it wherever he wants to , the pub or elsewhere. All earners should share the burden of community services . If I recall the London bombers had milked the government for well over a half million quid, and many have become citizens illegally, if the government wasn't so corrupted it would have sorted this lot out and would not need more taxes

Reply to
mike hide