Holes for posts

Dennis,

That wasn't a term I was familiar with, but having looked it up I can say that the stones in my spoil are all considerably smaller than half of a standard house brick.

And since three feet is deeper than I need to go, that's also good news. Many thanks.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

That's fascinating Chris, many thanks.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Thanks for that - a very interesting video.

Reply to
Roger Mills

3' deep is about what you should have for a 8' to 9 post above ground. A rough rule of thumb for post depth is 1/3 in the ground. 4' high fence post 2' in the ground, depends what this fence is for. Is it to keep livestock caontained or just "decorative"? For the latter 18" would probably do.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Purely decorative (or at least not holding back any animal life) and with posts 30" high. By the one-third rule that seems to suggest just 10" in the ground, which sounds pretty minimal. I might go a bit deeper than that, ground conditions permitting.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

That's my weapon of choice, along with a demolition crowbar

The Medway Handyman

Same here. I got the digger based, IIRC, on your recommendation, then relised that slighly stoney clay was a bit too much for it. Got out the ancient crowbar and jut broke up the soil and scooped it out. The crowbar is double ended: one is a point and the other a slightly angled chisel, so more versatile than a straight one.

Reply to
PeterC

depends

Aye, I think 10" / 30" is probably about the point where the linear

1/3 rule breaks down. Having said that good firm ground and a hole only just big enough to take the post would probably be OK.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I would think you could just hammer them in to that depth.

Reply to
dennis

Thanks for all the new replies. The long-handled digger seems to be emerging as the favourite, rather than the auger which was my first instinctive choice. I'll look at both.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

You can never have too many tools. Get them both, and the crowbar (much more useful than you might at first think).

Reply to
newshound

Before this conversation, I thought that a crowbar was a shortish affair with a slightly angled chisel-like blade at one end and a curved hook at the other. Obviously not.

Thanks for the advice.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

I think that's a jemmy.

Reply to
bert

Desmond & I call ours 'the toothpick' :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

or a wrecking bar(?)

Reply to
PeterC

We had to do this many years ago.The ground had been backfilled with a mixt ure of tailings and large rocks. We used a petrol driven auger. Two man job . It will kick like a mule when its hits an obstruction but if you keep at it it will do the job. You might have to withdraw it occasionally to remove a rock but thats no biggie.Just make sure that there is plenty of room if it kicks back, It could pin you against a wall very easily. Be happy becaus e in the end your posts are going to be firmly held

Reply to
fred

Well, I'm now back from Wickes/Toolstation armed with a post-hole digger and a demolition crowbar, the second of which surprised me both by its weight, which is considerable, and by having its non-pointed end bent over at an angle: not only does it not look like that in the website illustration, one of the customer reviews talks about bashing it home with a sledgehammer, which sounds quite tricky. But we'll see.

Fred, thanks for the petrol-driven auger suggestion, but as you can see I've decided to try the manual route, at least to begin with.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules