Holes for posts

I have to make a series of holes for fence posts, in ground that's extremely stony: basically it's a mix of clay and shingle. I've manually dug holes in the past and it's very hard going, so I'm wondering about buying or hiring an augur, either powered or hand-operated. Previous discussions on this subject have seen varying recommendations but no-one mentioned ground quite as stone-infested as mine: would a mechanical hole-borer be a worthwhile investment? And if so, petrol or electric? Many thanks.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

You could try a manual one, they are not very expensive, I think mine came from Toolstation, and that might give you an idea on the prospect of success.

I would certainly hire before buying if I was considering a powered one.

I get the impression that hydraulic ones attached to several tons of tractor will cope with most things.

Reply to
newshound

I've found manual ones - in conjunction with a long spike to dislodge stones - reasonably good. But it's not a quick job.

I fear that you may end up going on a few involuntary roundabout rides if you use a powered one!

A corkscrew on the back of a tractor would do the job well, but that ain't going to be cheap.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks to Newshound and Roger for the replies and advice. Toolstation's "Auger Post Hole Drill" is a very reasonable £15.10, so I'll give that a go first I think, in conjunction with the suggested long spike.

The tractor-based solution is very attractive but a tad impractical in my particular setting, I'm afraid.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Don't discount a basic post hole digger.

Very useful tool and as long as your rocks aren't too big, should cope well.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Should work well in conjunction with an auger - for removing the loose spoil.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Tim and Roger, thanks for that. Toolstation have a similar one, with a link to it from the auger page. I glanced at it but now I'll take a longer look.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

/Should work well in conjunction with an auger - for removing the loose spoil. /q

Shurely pulling up the auger now and then will remove the spoil?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

In theory. But if the ground is a bit crumbly, resulting in a hole a bit bigger than the auger, some spoil will fall off the edges of the spiral as you lift it out.

Reply to
Roger Mills

/n theory. But if the ground is a bit crumbly, resulting in a hole a bit bigger than the auger, some spoil will fall off the edges of the spiral as you lift it out. /q

Meh, if the ground is as bad as the OP says, I would expect him to be regularly on his knees with arm down the hole scooping out asstd debris, never mind pratting about with a separate tool...

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

It sounds as though the sensible approach might be to get hold of a manual auger and try that first. If the holes do start falling in on themselves then I can add the hole-digger. That's assuming that I can get any joy from my soil with hand-power only...

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

I had one of these before I got an auger, and didn't find it particularly effective. Strength (yours), technique, and ground condition will all have an influence. I did find it useful when trying to locate a new spring (in order to decide where drain pipe needed to go), for removing material displaced by the auger and a mattock.

Reply to
newshound

A few of the holes I'm going to dig have to be just too close to a nearby wall to allow the use of a manual auger. The hole-digger (or a mechanical auger) would however both be usable in the space.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

If it is that dry and crumbly then a vacuum cleaner can be useful if it is not too delicate, I found a small vacuum at jumble sale intended to collect soot ,that Ald/ lidli sell for about £35 . At the jumble I paid £5 and can abuse the thing with a clear conscience such as if the soil is dry enough vacuuming holes to plant beans etc in.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

That's a technique which I don't think would ever have occurred to me. Thanks.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

I'm pretty sure m Q: Is the handle movable along its length (or welded in) as I need some holes near a stone wall Many thanks A: The handle can be moved from left to right so you should be able to use this close to a wall although it may take a while to make a deep hole.

Reply to
newshound

Around Nottingham they have found vacuum excavation very useful for the works to extend the tram route. It means that they can expose services with less risk of damage.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

If you are talking about stones bigger than a half bat then you will struggle with the manual digger and will need to break them up. I use a meter long masonry drill in a 5kg sds drill.

Smaller than that and it should only take about 10-15 minutes to do a 3 foot deep hole.

Reply to
dennis

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Agreed. I was certainly assuming only stones which would "pass through" the screw.

Reply to
newshound