Hole in joist - at an angle?

I also have those. They break and bend a lot easier that the red ones IMHO.

Reply to
ARW

£40 for a set !!. For most people trying to drill a hole through a joist as a very-occasional exercise, that's a bit steep.

Unless you visit a Doncaster car-boot sale and get some cheap '2nd hand' ones :-).

Reply to
Andrew

Good point.

Reply to
ARW

Yes, I haven't bothered, the adapter seems a bit pointless, stubby drills in a (usually very long) SDS drill? Not going to fit in any joists ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

OK with good Victorian pine (smell the resin!), but agreed a slow auger is much better for old oak, elm, etc.

Reply to
newshound

Problem with the 1/4" hex is that many augers are not available with that shank...

Angle drill is the way to go if you have lots to do...

Reply to
John Rumm

One way to reduce the torque requirement of an auger, is to drill a small pilot hole first, such that the "pull" from the worm is reduced.

You can tune the effect by selecting the size of pilot. If you make it larger than the worm, then you eliminate all the self feed - and can apply however much push your drill's torque will allow.

Reply to
John Rumm

I used a compact 18V drill and a blacksmiths drill to do mine.

Fit between the joists easily.

Reply to
dennis

JOOI how does the drill react to the impact setting?

Noting that my impact driver has a chuck which takes screwdriver bits so I couldn't fit a "normal" drill in there anyway.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

It doesn't seem to mind, but it does make the drilling VERY NOISY!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Flat bit, 10.8V Bosch Pro drill, goes in. 90 deg. drive (Aldidl, rough as hell, strip, clean, lubricate) also is easy. The Bosch will manage 25mm if used gently.

Reply to
PeterC

I've heard too many bad reviews of el-cheapo 90 degree adapters, I've steered well clear. The Makita drill has interchangeable SDS chuck and twist chuck, if they sold a right angle chuck too, I'd buy one.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Chap I knew had a Makita one - I kept meaning to ask his widow how much for it, but she's moved away now.

PeterC

Those are pretty good I understand, but quite pricey:

They are really designed to go on one of these:

For the same money you could have:

John Rumm

Although not through joists I have used a short auger in a confined space similar to

and have used a ratchet drive (smaller car socket set type) on the hex end of the auger to manually turn/drive the screw into the wood to cut the hole.

Reply to
alan_m

Or

The Natural Philosopher