Hinges & Knuckles

I have fitted many a hinge to internal doors and always fitted them with the wing with most knuckles to the ... no lets wait for some debate before I own-up! I am only questioning it because someone asked me and realized I could only say that this is the way always do it but not give a decent justification.

Perhaps it simply a matter of preference or is there a view that they should they be with the wing with most knuckles be fitted to the frame or to the door and if so why?

Mike

Reply to
mail-veil

Oh, and to hijack your thread, how many hinges? 2 or 3? And if 3, equally spaced?

Reply to
GB

The majority of hinges come with knuckles on both halves, connected with a pin. Are you referring to rising butt hinges? If so, I always fix the pin part to the door frame and the knuckle to the door, as I find that makes fitting the door easier. It also makes them simpler to lubricate, with a drop of oil into the hole at the top.

That depends upon the weight of the door. Most internal doors will do fine with one pair, at 6" from the top and 9" from the bottom (visually they will look even). Fire doors and external doors normally need a pair and a half or, sometimes, two pairs. With a pair and a half, if the idea is to provide better support for the weight, the third hinge is best fitted 6" below the upper hinge. If it is better to resist an attack on an external door, then it should be half way between the other two. For two pairs, the third and fourth hinges go in both the last two positions.

Reply to
Nightjar

If it's a teenager's door, locate the centre of percussion and fit a plate marked "if slamming, hit door here". That will make the hinges last a tiny bit longer :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

I had not heard the term knuckle, but it seems reasonable. All normal hinges I recall seeing have an odd number of knuckles. (I think that's probably a good idea to avoid problems with the pin.) So, you do have the choice the OP mentioned - more knuckles on the door or the frame.

I just checked two doors in my house. One was done one way, and the other door the other way. So, I guess it does not matter.

Reply to
GB

Colin - I am asking about standard hinges which, on 3" hinges, have three knuckles on one wing and two on the other.

Mike

Reply to
mail-veil

On 28/11/2014 18:47, snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote: ...

Now I understand your post. I would normally expect the side with the most knuckles to be on the door frame, so that the lowest knuckle is transferring weight to the frame, while the top one is transferring the pull of the door to the frame, making best use overall of the hinge plate.

Reply to
Nightjar

Thank you Colin, I have always put them on the other way round and this house already had them thus. However, I like your reasoning and from now on will switch to your method. Cheers, Mike

Reply to
mail-veil