Hidden wall plate? Or none?

I'm building a carport thing at the back and off to one side ofthe house. I t's self supporting, basically two long beams on legs with rafters between them, then it's getting a 16mm uPVC roof on top.

The problem is that I've extended it 18" past the side of the house, to mak e it 'look right'. This leaves me with one rafter that meets the lower beam the same as all the others, but the high end will meet a brick wall instea d of the higher beam. This rafter won't be taking much load at all, it's ba sically cosmetic.

I need a way to attach the high end to the wall. Usually I'd have either a wall plate or a joist hanger there, but this one will be highly visible and I'd like to get that 'it just carries on into the wall' look.

Can I just firmly fix the birdsmouth at the other end to stop it sliding ou twards, then attach the top end straight into the wall with a few long mult ifix screws? Or if not, what would you all suggest?

Reply to
PC Paul

The obvious answer then is to cut out the brickwork and carry the rafter into the wall like they did in olden days

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I'd prefer not to disturb the brickwork just for this - like I said, this bit will be very visible so I don't really want to have new mortar or any cut bricks in there.

Reply to
PC Paul

How about a "peg" welded onto a plate which you screw to the wall. Drill a hole in the beam to accept the peg and, obviously, make the plate small enought to be hidden by the beam.

Reply to
Charles Hope

I was thinking along similar lines, of using some sort of concealed shelf fixing to fix the beam to the wall.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I think I'm going for this sort of solution. I have some 10mm stainless studding so I'll drill a hole then goop it into the wall and the rafter with some suitably goopy glue.

There should be very little spreading force on this rafter so I'm happy with that.

Thanks all.

Reply to
PC Paul