Hex shanked small twist drills

Have others found the problem of modern hex drill bits failing to grip in the hex section when drilling steel. I find once the bit has slipped in the hex section, it is not possible to secure it well in the holder even after grinding a flat on the drill bit and compressing the hex section by brute force. The problm seems worse on 1.5-4mm drills.

Reply to
Capitol

I keep a few 2.0/2.5/3.0mm bits handy as pilot drills

And yes I have had one of them where the drill came "uncrimped" from the hex part recently, not even when drilling steel, but I treat them as disposable ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, there are 2 types. Cheap glued ones as you describe, and overpriced one piece ones that work. I bet a dot of weld would fix them.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Actually the newer ones I've got are glued and crimped, where the older ones were only crimped ... so far, so good with the the newer ones.

Reply to
Andy Burns