Help with Victorian iron roof light

We have several iron sky lights in our roof, and I have just plucked up courage to actually start working on one. Got it to open, and managed to scrape off a lot of the old paint, down to bare metal. I know there is something I should paint on the metal to neutralise the rust, before proper paint, but have forgotten what. Reminder?

The light is just like the one on the left, here, although without the cross pieces - we have two sheets of glass, not four :

tm

There are a couple of nibs on the bottom, to prevent the glass sliding down, but little remains of whatever was originally between the glass and the frame. Putty, presumably. There is a gap at the bottom, between frame and glass, perhaps 1/10th inch. What can I squeeze in the gap, working only from inside? Putty with a knife? Some kind of silicone sealant from a tube? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Reply to
Graeme

Kurust. From Halfords. They have a range of rust treating products.

Probably time to consider replacements.

Reply to
harry

Thank you. The name I was trying to recall was Jenolite, but either would probably be OK.

I really, really don't want to replace original fittings if they can be saved.

Reply to
Graeme

the name is phosphoric acid. There are other ways to convert rust too, see youtube. What you do after that matters plenty too.

of course

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr