Help with printer selecton

On 18/07/2018 16:25, Andy Burns wrote:

Didn't HP use Brother laser print engines?
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Canon, mostly AFAIK.
Initially Canon built the 'engines', shipped them to HP who then cased them, boxed them up and shipped them out in their own trucks. Then Canon cased them and boxed them (and may have also shipped them to the distributors).
Cheers, T i m
On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 17:28:32 +0100, alan_m wrote:

The earlier ones were definitely Canon. I still use my 1993 LJ4M+.

I had a small Samsung Mono Laser printer. The cartridges in my previous colour laser printer ran out and, as I was out of work and short of money, a mono laser on a clearance offer for £25 seemed a good deal. That printer is still in use by my son to avoid coming downstairs to the main printer - it must be 12 to 15 years old now!
SteveW
On 18/07/2018 09:38, Broadback wrote:

They tend to be much better in this respect.

Budget? Does it need to be networked? Duplex? Howw many pages / month typically?
--
Cheers,

John.
On 18/07/2018 09:38, Broadback wrote:

Nope lasers should be fine almost with even vast time gaps between prints .
You do not need a photo realistic one just get one that does text and 'blocky' colour for documents. Anything you need to be photo-realistic take to a print shop in town they generally have MUCH better quality printers than you could ever reasonably need at home and use these, to print out your 'keepsies'. Of course this all depends, on how far away/how complicated to get to, your local print shop is, but generally the need, for photo-realistic prints does not sneak up on you so it might be in order to plan a dedicated trip into town
On 18/07/2018 14:33, soup wrote:

Or use one of the on-line services where you download their software, upload the image, select the size you want (original image dependent), glossy or matt paper and a few options such as borderless. You have to factor in postage charges for a one off.
I've used Aldi Photos who are probably just a re-seller of some centralised photo processing company for a number of 30" x 20" prints (£5 + pp) A 6" x 4" print starts at 5p.
http://www.aldiphotos.co.uk/
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 19/07/2018 08:08, alan_m wrote:

Aldi have keen prices too.
I use Jessops who print on Fuji crystal archive paper and can vouch for their light stability. Prints done 12 years ago and in filtered daylight for the entire period have survived whereas inkjet prints in the same display have faded even though they were done on Canon's most expensive paper and ink system at the time. The dyes that absorb blue light essentially fade to nothing leaving a ghostly red/yellow tinged pale pastel image with almost no blue remaining. Jessops prices are now quite a bit higher (although they are still doing prints on Fuji CA).
https://photo.jessops.com/product/photo-prints/
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 18/07/2018 09:38, Broadback wrote:

No brainer, I have a Lexmark CS410DN (duplex, networked) and it has been fine. Not too bad at all for photos, especially if you laminate them (although there is some sort of problem printing photos in Word documents).
Had a Dell before that, also good until the input circuitry died so I've gone off them a bit.
On 18/07/2018 18:00, newshound wrote:

? can't say I have noticed a problem with photos in Word documents.
Have had problems drawing circles programmatically in Excel though - it turns out the poor circle gets kerned by the font metrics and ends up oval unless you use a fixed width teletype style font!

The best inkjets will blow away a colour laser but the ink stability longer term isn't fantastic. Long term display boards I prefer Fuji crystal archive prints.
My inkjet printed posters on normal paper are visibly faded after 2-3 weeks under glass or perspex outdoors in full sunlight. Laser printed ones survive all conditions and the ink doesn't run if rain gets in.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Early inkjet ink seemed to suffer from both of those. My current ink jet is an order of magnitude better. And doesn't clog up anything like as quickly. Seems OK only used once a month or so.
--
*There's two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither one works *

+1
Although even today the inks are nowhere near as stable as the gold standard of Cibachrome or Fuji Crystal Archive (which are pretty much indestructible in very harsh conditions for a long time).
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 18/07/2018 09:38, Broadback wrote:

Kyocera I have a mono at work and colour at home. Toner cartridges are cheap as chips (aftermarket ones)
Downside... Only that colour LASER printers are pretty big and lasers in general can be a bit of a Chinese puzzle to find your way into the murky depths to resolve a paper jam but YouTube has come to my assistance a couple of times although even with cheap thin paper I use at work jams are few and far between.