Help with electrics for mini lathe.

Agreed 3-phase would not require a starter capacitor, but a 440V single-phase motor would. As I just replied to Harry, it seems odd that a low-power lathe would use a 440V motor. A 240V AC capacitor is rated to handle the peaks associated with that voltage.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

By the look of the wiring it was made of bits which happened to be around. It's an Emco Unimat lathe and would originally have used a sewing machine motor.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Its not much different from normal operation - just the alternate polarity cycle will come a bit quicker.

(note many are setup with a bleed resistor to drain off any charge after power down anyway)

Reply to
John Rumm

has lots on Unimat motor options. Do remember it is an American site so nearly all 110VAC.

Reply to
Peter Parry

He did, in effect. The photo in the original post included a view of the cap label.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I cant see the point in unbalancing a three phase network with a single motor across two phases. I doubt there were any ever.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It might have dome, but it was gone before I could read it.

Imgur is now effecteiively ususable

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks to all for the replies it has been very useful.

Reply to
ss

fwliw I'm using ff, it reports itself as 1.0 but obviously isn't, so dunno what version.

Ss's google link didn't work either, 404.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The Pale Moon forum is working again. FYI:

Jeff Layman