Help needed to find a switch

I need some momentary-action ("retractive" seems to be the word of the moment - pun intended) ceiling switches BUT *they need to be smaller than the standard light switch*. They will switch an inductive load at about 300mA DC and 5V. I've looked around all the usual places but Google hasn't been my friend - can anyone point me at something suitable and affordable?

I'm bringing an original 1930s staff call system back to life. The call box is restored, and the downstairs rooms and the main bathroom have working wall buttons, but the ceiling switches in the bedrooms have all been removed at some time - that's why I need to find switches that don't look like light switches or panic cords in an old folks home.

Reply to
nothanks

How about choosing an enclosure and adding a microswitch to it, with a cord looped around?

Reply to
Steve Walker

Not affordable, but pressel (pendant push) switches were typically used rather than pull cords

If you know anyone with a lathe who could turn some up in wood, and fix a press button into one end, that night be possible (Men's Shed??)

Not completely sure if these are momentary or latching

and this one is cheap enough to be cannibalisable

1930s pull switches would have looked like light switches because they would use the same case with a retractive mechanism. If you spray paint a Crabtree 2147 or similar bakelite brown and change the pull cord, and mount it in a pattress block, you may be close enough?

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Or drilling a small hole through the microswitch lever fr the cord.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Actually, downstairs they're brass push buttons but upstairs there are the remains of a switch in one room and it just looks like a scaled-down light switch.

spend some time entertaining myself tomorrow.

I know someone as well as it's possible to know someone (me!) and I know that it would take me a while to get the round tuit to make 5 matching ones. TBH I hadn't thought of making them ... hmmm, perhaps with a small microswitch inside ... I'll explore that if nothing turns-up.

I'll remove what's left of the one remaining one and see whether there are any markings on it. It's about half the size of a ceiling light switch.

Reply to
nothanks

I guess that might be what I'll have to do

Reply to
nothanks

Where are you going to get the 1930's staff from?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Could you not hide the bulk of the switch above the ceiling using a couple of custom made metal brackets of some kind, then a suitable grommet in the ceiling to allow the cord through. Not ever having see these things, I'm a little lost. However when you say momentary, do you mean that literally or are we talking of those with a soft return that I've encountered that stays on for a few seconds as in a greenhouse to allow you to get out without going a over t on the objects on the floor? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The problem of course would be to limit its pull, since I think somebody would be bound to pull it really hard and break or bend it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I did something similar with a fairly large push to talk switch onemce. putting a small loop screw in thing into the button and tying the chord to the thing it was mounted on, and letting the loop through the eye push the switch. Beware though, the ability of some people to pull sideways or too hard should not be underestimated especially if its in the reach of small children!

Brian PS, You might be able to find a biased toggle switch you can adapt as well.

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Lots of people out of work these days. I was imagining more the maids uniform myself... thud. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I married one a few years ago (Ouch!)

Reply to
nothanks

Not a problem with the lever type - there could be a solid piece just below the point that the lever actuates the switch, so the lever (and cord) would be held solidly by the stop.

Reply to
Steve Walker

You may be able to save yourself some time and just but a matching set of wooden door handles or old-fashioned toilet chain handles that would need minimum work.

Reply to
Steve Walker

They need to be cord operated because I don't want to dig channels in the plaster of all the bedrooms and a bathroom - the rooms need decorating but it's a long term job. Something on the website that Owain linked to has given me an idea. I could make a small box to contain a modern switch, with a brass bellcrank pivoted on the front, and with the box fixed in the wall-ceiling joint. I think it could be made to look quite good, and distinctive from a light switch or alarm pull. Next job is to look for ready-made brass bellcranks (or to do some sketches and getting the mill going).

Reply to
nothanks

I meant for use as the pendant type switches, rather than having to turn

5 identical pendants.

That sounds like a good option.

Reply to
Steve Walker

That was actually what I was looking for; Byron used to do electrically-operated 'butler' bells with bellpull-to-electric boxes. Couldn't find the bellpull end though, just the electric-to-janglybell bell.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname