HELP - Knotting Knots & Sikens

Hi,

I am fitting new Redwood skirting, which as expected has the odd knot here and there :-

A) Is it advisable to apply "knotting" liquid if I am to stain the wood with Mahogany Sikkens ?

B) Will there be any patchy discouluorment or other problems if I apply the Sikkens to the wood?

Many Thanks.

Rick.

Reply to
Shudderdun

AFAIUI, you don't need knotting solution if you are staining - only if painting. I certainly imagine that if you did use it you would be able to see the patches quite noticeably. I'm not 100% so I'd wait for others before starting work!

Reply to
Richard Conway

Looks like it's a nono for their HLS stain, phone em up to check if you like:

Try a sample on the back, and try the final number of coats, as each coat makes the wood darker.

See also:

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Knotting is to stop resin bleeding through paint - if you're not painting you don't really need it.

There would - it would prevent absorption of stain into the surface.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Many Thanks Chaps !

Regards