Help in costing a new toilet

/me shakes my head looking at guttering at Lowe Towers.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Ok guys too much info now :-)

I think I get the point re my toilet project.

thanks for input.

Reply to
SS

Dave,

I've also seen those "modifications" left by plumbers as well. But what amazes me, things like that happen to the best of us - even after working out the correct fall, stringing a line and pulling the damn thing as tight as possible between the opposing pair of distant brackets (primarily on metal gutters of long-past) and "one in the middle".

What we tend to forget when using an unsupported string line at that level, is that no matter how tight you pull the thing, gravity takes over and you can end up with a 'dip' - or, you push the line up when fitting the brackets, thus producing a 'bow' - all very interesting stuff!

Used to drive me bloody crazy when doing very long lengths of guttering on some of the terraced streets (or even on pairs of semis with hipped roofs) - and using nothing but ladders for access to the job (scaffolding for simple gutter work was unheard of then - unless you had ground obstacles such as falling ground, conservatories, three (or more) storey buildings or sheds in the way.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I don't care how many "others" are. I just know that the one I am called upon to clear out is

tim

Reply to
tim....

After recent gales had a friend wanting a gutter job done. I did some sums after weighing length of string. Error over 8 metres with 20 lbs in string was about 3mm. Bourne out in practice.

However, irregularity in the brickwork (No soffit, 20s common brickwork) caused much greater error. Front face (facing brick, of engineering quality judging by its drillability even withSDS) was much better. Some puddles in new guttering, but it all runs ok.

Reply to
<me9