Help! I seem to have killed my telly!

While this wouldn't explain why the TV would halt mid task, have you considered the possibility there is a fault with the remote ?

" Strangely, my remote stopped working today as well. Mine was just unresponsive all of a sudden. I looked online, and the solution I found was to take the batteries out, hold down the power button on the remote for over a minute, then push lots of remote, just loads of them one after another for a while, and then put the batteries back in. It sounds crazy and simple, and I was sure it wouldn't work, but it did. I think the 'science' behind it involves depleting it of charge, so it can reset itself. Try that! Its worth a shot."

bb

Reply to
billy bookcase

That sounds optimistic.

I have not been through the whole of this thread but have you googled for a service manual. I know this is not the precise model that you own but it may offer some starter suggestions.

It did refer to the keys you used on your remote so it might not be too different for the next step.

Reply to
Tony Gamble

That does not really seem to fit the evidence though...

Roger mentioned that he could see a change in the screen brightness.

Also there is no audio. If it were just a backlight failure, you might expect other TV functions to still work, and you would possibly be able to still see an image on screen when you shine a bright torch on it.

IME Traditional LCDs with CFL backlight will normally keep running even if the inverter driving the backlight has failed. (More modern LED backlit ones will often cause the PSU to shutdown altogether if one of the backlight LEDs fails short).

I too suspect the PSU board is the first thing to investigate. Quite often the output connector will have a silkscreen on the board with the expected voltages, so that can be an easy test.

Testing for ~700V on the output of the backlight inverter is also possible, but from the description it sounds like that is probably working ok.

Reply to
John Rumm

No - it's 11 years old!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm pretty sure it's not that. I can see that the remote is sending something by pointing it at my phone's camera.

But when the set is stitched on, the power light goes from red to flashing green without using the remote. It shouldn't do that!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yes, I've downloaded the correct service manual - but it seems to assume that the OSD is working - which it ain't, apart from this single line of text "Start Adjustment Menu"

Reply to
Roger Mills
[Snip]

In the absense of any obvious other thing, the Power Supply is always the first thing to check. A lesson from over 50 years ago - and it's stood me in good stead.

Reply to
charles

Does the set have a usable video output - something that could be looked at (by whatever means) on something external?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I like our albeit humble telly so when it went bang I took a board out and sent it to a guy on ebay, paid about 30 quid and it's been fine since. If you're interested i'll look at my history and see where it went.

Reply to
R D S

Anything here of use:

Or here:

(You will need to get through a Captcha, and need Google Translate for anything other than the first post in the thread).

Reply to
Jeff Layman

You need to figure out what keycode or remote control key it expects you to press next. "OK" would be my first guess but I suppose you already tried that. It should say somewhere how to force a factory reset.

Reply to
Martin Brown

It is possible that it is no longer sending the right codes. If you have access to another Panasonic controller it is worth a quick try. I have known one go bad - but I think dunking in a beverage was involved!

The pattern of the flashes may be telling you the fault code if you can figure out how to read them. Quite a few pieces of kit do this if they are unable to boot up to a more helpful stage. eg. PC motherboards.

Reply to
Martin Brown

'Fraid not. When the Start Adjustment Menu disappears, the screen goes black rather than grey, and doesn't respond to 2 or mute being pressed.

Sadly no. That seems to be for a plasma set anyway, but I can't get any actual menu to appear after the Start Adjustment Menu heading.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Do you mean via Scart or HDMI etc.? It does potentially have these but I wouldn't expect to see anything on them because it hasn't properly got past the power on stage.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Anything you could use.

It was just a suggestion in case the set WAS actually working, but not displaying on its own screen.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

No I'm pretty sure it's not. There's no sound, either.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I tried a Google on the string, with quotes...

This item is for a plasma set, so should not be used for an LCD exactly.

" "Start Adjustment Menu" message will be displayed followed by the Service Menu after few seconds.

You should see this as your display:

ADJUST {Picture Adjustment} WB-ADJUST {White Balance Adjustment} OPTION {Option Setting} V-SUS {V-SUS Adjustment} AGING SRV-TOOL {Service Tool} "1" & "2" buttons move through options "

That appears to be the entry point of the Service Menu. If a person was servicing the set (TV Repair), then they would attempt to get there. Your service menu is not rendering to screen.

There is a second reference here. Last post.

"You have to keep the {Channel -} button on the TV panel and keep it pressed (do not release). While the above button is pressed, press {INFO} button 3 times. <=== [Info button on Remote?]

At this point {Channel -} can be released."

[And press Exit to come out of Service Menu]

Another example here, of a Service Menu.

So far, no suggestions for why the Service Menu won't paint.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Service mode is operated through the number keys:

Press the 3/4 button to change the adjustment values or function. Press the 1/2 button to step up/down through the functions and adjustments Press the numerical button VOLUME (+/-) to change option item. Press the OK button after each adjustment has been made to store the required values.

Does this work:

Self Check Self-check is used to automatically check the bus lines and hexadecimal code of the TV set. To enter Self-Check mode, keep pressing the down (-/v) button on the TV set and press the STATUS [i] button on the remote control. To exit Self Check, switch off the TV set at the power button.

and you should check the power LED blinking sequence:

Power LED blinking timing chart

  1. Subject Information of LED Flashing timing chart.
  2. Contents When abnormality has occurred the unit, the protection circuit operates and reset to the stand by mode. At this time, the defective block can be identified by number of blinking of the Power LED on the front panel of the unit.

It flashes the LED N times, and then goes off, then N flashes, etc. How many flashes are there? All point to the main board except where noted:

1=INVERTER_SOS (inverter board) 2=FAN_SOS 3=SOS 4=SUB_F_12V 5=MAIN9V 6=SUB5V (remote receiver board) 7=SUB3.3V 8=MAIN3.3V 9=SOUND_SOS 10=EMERGENCY_SOS

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Ideally HDMI and a Panasonic one if you have got it so that it can speak Vierra protocol to the TV and automatically take control of it when the external signal source is switched on. Also Panasonic remotes have a set of TV on/off controls on them

But it could still be a tuner fault given what it was last doing.

Reply to
Martin Brown

That presupposes that some options are displayed - they aint!

Ditto, can't get there either.

The light flashes continuously quite fast, with no pauses. I assume that means EMERGENCY_SOS - whatever that is!

Incidentally, on P10 of the service manual there is a table of voltages to check on the A-board. Each one is referenced by a TP No. such as TP2765. But I can't see anything that obviously looks like test points, and most of the text on the board is too small to read. How do I find these points?

Reply to
Roger Mills