Help! I seem to have killed my telly!

Thanks. I'd *love* to get a menu on it, but it won't display *anything*!

I've got the printed manual but, as far as I can see, you need the OSD in order to apply a firmware update.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I've had an Amazon fire stick connected, but it can't see that. I think it's more than the tuner because it won't display *anything* - no menu, no OSD.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Well yes, there's no harm in doing that. Powering it down for several hours didn't do anything though. Even longer just *might* I suppose.

Reply to
Roger Mills

First, check the aerial cable works OK with another TV.

Disconnect everything from the failed TV apart from the mains lead and the aerial cable which should go directly to it and not loop through anything else like a video recorder.

With the TV turned on, are there any visible lights to show the power is getting through?

Does the screen get brighter (or less dark) if you manually increase the brightness to max on the TV? That should indicate whether the backlight is working. Leave the remote out of it.

Is your remote control actually working? Either replace the batteries with new, or point it at a digital camera when it should show up when pressed in the camera viewing screen.

Does the manual indicate any way of resetting the TV manually using its own controls? Sometimes keeping the on/off button depressed for a few seconds does that. Otherwise, this may give you a steer:

Norman Wells

Time to look at the power board, for leaking caps.

Especially with the sound of a relay clicking.

Sometimes you can find a Service Manual. Example of a Panasonic, here. Just not the OPs one.

I wouldn't know where to start. There are only a few components there suited to leak-checking. I was expecting to see more electrolytics on it.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Although the whole telly is on sale for £30, so may not be worth investing very much.

Here's the service manual PDF (no need to speak Russian):

which has a 'Power LED blinking timing chart' which should indicate what's wrong.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

The answer is simple - as already commented - the backlight has failed. The easiest test is to get in the room in the dark at night with no other lighting present and switch it on. If the backlight <is> working you will still see a change in the screen brightness just after the front panel LED stops flashing even though it is black. You should also be able to see the effect/source of the backlighting if you get close to the TV and look across the screen at one edge from the opposite edge - there will be a slight glow on one edge if the backlighting is working so you need to look at all four edges. Per the relay clicking, with a Panny (I have one behind me as I type) you know of course that the remote power button has to be held for a second or two to power on - at which point the LED changes from flashing red to flashing green coincident with a single relay click just before the colour change. We had a Samsung in our lounge that was my late fil's set vintage about

2006 and he died in Jan 2019. I was watching it one night, changed channel and the screen went blank. I too went through every check I could think of but couldn't get anything to work so wrote it down to experience and binned it. One thing I do notice: the HD ready panel on the Panny (also 15+ years old) is significantly better then either of the two Samsungs that we now have one of which is full HD.
Reply to
Woody

A 26 inch will almost certainly be brand engineered, not a Panasonic design. I think the Viera, in the service manual name quoted, represents the real manufacturer.

Reply to
David Woolley

Viera is Panasonic's name for its interconnection with externals

Reply to
charles

The name I was trying to remember was Vestel.

Reply to
David Woolley

Viera is Panasonic's TV brand, like 'Sony Trinitron' back in the day.

Looking at the schematic I posted, the parts look solidly Japanese. The main controller IC is a Panasonic (GenX8). So in this case it seems to be a Panasonic original.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Have a look at these two forums:

?topic=9982.0Maybe even post there and ask.

My 8 year old Panny has just failed with the LED power burn out problem. Quite common apparently.

Reply to
Davidm

I haven't looked at it in total darkness, but there's *some* light on the screen. There is sometimes a lighter black flicker, often associated with a relay click.

I'm aware, of course, that - when it's working normally - you need to hold down the ON button on the remote until the light goes to flashing green and then solid green. But the odd thing under this fault condition is that, when I turn it on with the switch on the side of the set, the red standby light comes on for a few seconds and then starts flashing green without me touching the remote. It then doesn't respond to

*anything* on the remote so I can't turn it back to standby. [I'm satisfied that the remote is working because I can see red flashes when pointing my phone camera at it].
Reply to
Roger Mills

As ibn Virgins? As fare as I know most makers use off the shelf bits, but since Panasonic recent designs all have talking software, I suspect that this must be developed in house. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Searching for "panasonic tv flashing green led" brings up lots of information, some more useful than others. Some claim that there is a code in the number of flashes from the power LED that will help to diagnose the problem.

Reply to
Dave

No. From the description despite its small size it is old enough to predate the brand engineered Panasonics by some way.

Vestel is that name of badged engineering for Japanese TVs..

If it won't respond to a generic TV controller set to Panasonic then it will almost certainly respond to one set to Vestel.

Reply to
Martin Brown

That was a good suggestion Dave.

Near the top was this:-

Lots of things to try there.

Reply to
Tony Gamble

....except that this TV is LCD?

Reply to
Woody

Indeed. But holding V- and pressing 0 (zero) on the remote 3 times

*does* do something.

It brings up a line of text on the screen saying "Start Adjustment Menu"

- whatever that means. I can't then get it to do anything else but at least the screen can't be entirely dead.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I had one did something like that from new. got it replaced. Is it in warranty?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher