Hedgecutter info.

Anyone have service info. on a Stihl HS85 (2001) hedgecutter, viz.: Correct spark plug(s) Type of grease to use in the gearbox Correct fuel/oil mix (I have assumed 1:40 so far)

or could lend me the user manual for this item. The info. does not seem to be available on the web.

thanks

-- Any help TIA Please reply to Newsgroup

Reply to
mutley

Fuel oil mix non stihl oil; 50 -1 stihls own oil (dark pink stuff) 25 - 1>

Stihl supply grease in a toothpaste type tube, which screws in place of a plug in the cover plate on the gearbox, just screw it in and squeeze until signs of grease appear by the blade.

Cant help with spark plug until tomorrow.

Reply to
ALHO

Since its probably the one someone nicked from me last year, I'll try and search out the manual and get the police to come round with it :-)

How come you got one without a manual?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for the reply; as to provenance, bought used at reputable machinery auction.

Reply to
mutley

In article , mutley writes

It'll be better than the new Viking hedgetrimmer I bought last week! I had a H700 for about 6 years and loved it, good long cut, sturdy machine, reliable and went through our 350 foot of hawthorn hedge like a dream. The motor blew and cost of repair "seemed" high (only 20 pounds less) than new pair. So thinking I would get the new improved version, I went for the 715 which is the newer identical model. Don't bother! It's about as flimsy as the black and Decker lot, it's lighter but gives the feeling of much less robustness, in fact it doesn't feel as if it would cut privet easily let alone hawthorn. It's shape is different and it doesn't feel as long on the cut although the manufacturer says it is. I phones the repair shop back to see if I could get my old ones back but sadly they lobbed them in the skip.

Moral.......... don't thi nk 'new' versions ' will be better than old! Emailed Viking to complain and customer service centre told me that they were SURE Mrs Tweedy would get used to the new blades in time. Fat chance.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Tweedy