Heating costs - rant to Which?

3kw electric nonstop for 1hr is about 36p
NT

Do they happen to mention those halagen heaters like these (Amazon.com product link shortened)
They seem effective when standing by them but are they any better than 'normal' electric bar heaters at heating rooms ?

is it that trival ? My parents use a 2 bar electric fire which is still working after 15+ years and no one needs to come around to check i'ts not belching out CO. How often do they recommend gas heaters are inspected and at what cost.

It's a difficult one and measuring safety/savings I'm not sure how you draw up a scale.

2 years ago I considered one of those (DeLonghi) for my bedroom, but on checking argos it had such a bad writeup that I didn't buy one, it was the one with remote sensing that didn;t seem to work. I then brought a cheap 20 convention heater from B&Q. The themostat/stwich melted about a month later and as I took it back I noticed a recall notice on a pillar next to the till, so got a full refund even though I didn;t have the reciept .

Do they happen to do any that you can remotely control from an iPhone/ iPod now that would be worth considering ;-)

Bonkers...
If you heated just 1 room in the house, you could do it reasonably cheaply with electricity. The problem is the rest of the house tends to have pipework in it which will freeze and furnishings which can suffer re damp, condensation, temperature.
Electricity Peak - 1kWhr is 11p. Electrcity E7 Night - 1kWhr is 4.9p. Gas 90% efficiency - 1kWhr is 4.2p.
Standing charge for electricity circa 140/yr, Gas circa 130/yr. So having the gas meter removed saves you 130, because running a single gas fire for a winter can often be 150 on gas and 130 on standing charge making the 4.2p per kWhr actually 8p per kWhr AND that gets worse when you consider the inefficiency of the gas fire (73%) and the increased air changes per hour an open flued device both requires and generates depending on the chimney draw (so nearer 12p pre kWhr in reality).
Living in the house just in the evening for 2hrs. This is were peak-only electric heating can work out ok, but you still need something to stop pipes freezing (a water dump valve cycling on a timer every 15mins for 1 min on both "once-hot" and cold could prevent freezing). It is here you need background heating which brings in low capital cost storage heaters.
That in turn brings in the reality for the dumb-ass article, probably aimed at someone coming home at 7pm at night to a 2010 build which has so much insulation a well ignited fart will heat them for several hours. Many 2010 flats are heated by panel convectors without much difficulty, perhaps a storage heater in the living area. The average solid brick house conversely needs a DIY-Shed load of insulation adding before you could even think of doing it.
Fan heaters create broad warmth quickly, oil filled radiators create local warm close to you. There is an argument for both depending on the size of the room.
Insulate and yes you can heat with a candle. Stupid article.

You'll save the cost of an annual safety check on a gas appliance, as well.

I assumed it was nothing but the usual blithering product promotion
NT