Heating Clock not working - but working next door!

I recently bought a Horstmann C27 Programmer and Digital thermostat. I installed the C27 and it worked fine. I then installed the thermostat and stupidly guessed which neutral wire to stick in and guessed the wrong one - resulting in a pop and untimely death of my C27 programmer.

I then got the correct wiring for the digital thermostat and the electritian who fixed it used a workaround on the backplate wiring so that both hot water and heating switch on from the switch with the expectation that I would move a couple of wires (I'm sure I've got this right) and plug in my next door neighbour's heating clock temporarily when I borrowed it.

Here's the problem. It works on his but not on mine, despite everything else, incluing new thermostat, working from the switch! Anybody got any ideas?

Reply to
mgfarley

If I remember correctly then the digital thermostat / programmer I've got just acts like a switch. there is no + or - and there is not even the conection for the 3rd wire that you get with the old mechanical thermostats.

If it's like mine I dont see how you could wire it incorrectly in the first place. Even if it needs an AC supply then this has no 'polarity ' does it !

Simon

Reply to
srp

The problem was that there was a third wire in my previous thermostat (2 neutrals). I put the wrong one in and the Horstmann programmer literally went pop. I'm not proud of this piece of wiring, but there you are!

Reply to
mgfarley