Heads up: Grand Designs tonight particularly good.

Well, I think so. It's a repeat (revisited?) of the one where a Dublin architect buys a 150 year old ruined church in Westport, and turns it into a family home with a shedload of wood.

Channel 4 @ 9pm.

-- Adrian

Reply to
Adrian C

And not an ounce of insulation. He must have lots of money top spend on oil.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Got to get that energy rising up into the Heavens one way or the other. Oil fired or Hell fired.

-- Regards, Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

He uses ground source heating, not oil

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Oh yes, because ground source heating is free, you only need to connect a pipe to the hot spring...

In practice, electrically driven, under very optimistic assumptions, it might be half the price of gas/oil. Still bloody expensive.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

On 25 May 2005, Ian Stirling wrote

As it's a second/vacation home, it presumably doesn't need full-level heating year 'round.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Still costs a fortune to heat with no insulation.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Never mind Hell fired, I think he is the one heating hell! According to the program, it cost 10000 euro to install the ground heat system, but will pay for itself in 6 years. That's some heating bill!

Andrew

Reply to
google

Well a normal heating system on a largeish place may approach 10,000 euro - about £6k

If you go for mains pressure tank decent boiler and fancy rads rather that 17 combis and whatever screwfix has on its 'rusted beyond belief' radiator section..;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't think you read my mail correctly. I wasn't commenting on the cost as such, but the fact that he said it would pay for itself in 6 years. That equates to a heating bill of =A31000/yr!

Andrew

Reply to
google

cost as such, but the fact that he said it would pay for itself in 6 years. That equates to a heating bill of £1000/yr!

I think that's quite common. Ours would have been far in excess of that if I hadn't installed what seems like Seconds and Co's whole warehouse of Kingspan throughout the structure.

Reply to
Mike

I don't think you read my mail correctly. I wasn't commenting on the cost as such, but the fact that he said it would pay for itself in 6 years. That equates to a heating bill of £1000/yr!

Andrew

Yep, mine is over £1000 per year, 3 bed 1930's semi

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff