Having trouble removing a radiator

I've unhung radiators before for decorating but I'm having trouble taking them off in our new house.

We've just had the boiler done and the 20 year old radiators were all fitted with new TRVs (Boss supreme) and lockshield valves. Not just the valves, but also the bit that sticks out of the radiator that has the nut on it.

I'm trying to unhang the downstairs rads - a new experience for me as I used to live in a first floor flat. When I unscrew the nut as far as it will go, the threads on the valve are clear (just), but there's a lip that extends beyond them under the loosened nut. As we have concrete floors, the pipes are horizontal along the wall rather than poking out of the floor, so it feels like there's little give to tease that lip out. I don't want to force anything that'll lead to them springing a leak.

Is there a chance that the plumber might have assembled the valves onto the radiator before connecting them to the supply and return pipes? If so then I'm concerned that forcing the rads one way or another might cause a leak. If not, then I'd guess that it's okay for me to force the radiator over to one side as presumably that's what he did to fit the valves in the first place.

I've left a message for the plumber which should answer the question of how he attached the valves. Any help/advice appreciated though, as we have a badly-filled crack in the wall that extends behind one radiator so I really would like to get it off to smooth the wall.

Reply to
Bromley86

Are the nuts you have undone 'normal' 15mm size nuts or the big old style that were on radiators a few years ago? If the former then the valve usually has a short tail on it that goes inside the radiator with a 15mm olive on it. If it is this type you should be able to prise the tail out. I have done this many times but YMMV, and don't blame me if you have a flood ;-).

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Yep.

Sounds a little too dangerous for me :) . The problem seems to me to be that the tail is wider than the cetre of the nut for over half its length, which is stopping me from getting the nut out of the way. That might be a normal thing though.

If pushed, I'll try to do what I can from the side and use a behind-a- radiator roller, but I would like to do it right.

Reply to
Bromley86

This is normal for this sort of coupling. All modern TRVs (and some non-TRVs) now use these which are basically compression joints, and yes there's a few mm of pipe (from the rad tail) which extends into the outlet of the valve. (Both inlet and outlet of the valve have the same couplings and you can actually mount the valve at 90 degrees so its head is horizontal instead of vertical.)

Use a bigger hammer :-)

Copper pipe is fairly springy so if all else fails you may be able to release a couple of pipe clips and bow the pipe to help pull it away. Also try sliding the rad on its brackets away from the valve you're undoing, if there's play at the other valve, to give you more clearance (provided the rad isn't too heavy and/or its brackets securely too flimsily!

Reply to
John Stumbles