Hardwood window refurb

My hardwood window frames are looking a mess. The stain is peeling off and looking tatty so its either replace or repair. Replace is a hideously expensive option at the moment, so plan B it is.

Problem is, I don't think I can be arsed to sand back all the stain to bare wood and start again. Not with fiddly litttle window frames. Is there a better way? Would a hot air paint stripper do a good job of getting it off properly? And then what? I've tried the so called 5 year woodstains, but I haven't yet found one that didn't need reapplying every year. Not my idea of a good time

Cheers

Brian

Reply to
bigbria

Use nitromorse don't be deflected by people intent on subverting this thread with talk of caustic soda.

Slap a thick coat on on a cool dry day and leave it for a few minutes then scrape and rub it off with a paint scraper and some steel wool. I am not sure what you need to do before you can give it a coat of preserve.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil