Handyman 0 - Angle Grinder 1.

Amazing the way some ads linger in the mind. Wonder how many also remember which bank was advertising?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

National Westminster?

Reply to
Huge

Could this be considered inside trading?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The collective noun for a group of bankers is "a wunch".

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

yes, yes, and why did the Irish used to call their currency the Punt?

Only word in the language that rhymes with bank manager.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I've never forgiven that big, nasty Westminster Bank for swallowing up my nice National Provincial.

Reply to
Bob Martin

National *and* Provincial, Shirley??

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Certainly not.

From "The History of Banking" :

"By the early 1920s public alarm at the pace of the merger movement had prompted the government to put into place a number of constraints on takeovers by the so-called 'Big Five' - Westminster, National Provincial, Barclays, Lloyds and Midland."

Reply to
Bob Martin