Hand held Dyson oddity continues

Well, one of the more plausible explanations for my Dyson?s odd behaviour (namely dying within seconds of coming off charge but being ?restored? to normal running duration by recharging for just 5 seconds back on the charger) was that poor connection between the battery and the handset might be the problem.

Well I removed the battery, cleaned the contacts and crossed my fingers but it?s made no difference. I?m really puzzled by this behaviour. I did wonder if it was just ?pretending? to have recovered so having vacuumed the hearth, I carried on with the sitting room, the hall and then the stairs. By then I was getting bored but it seems to have plenty of capacity.

I don?t really buy the ?dead/dying cell? theory or the ?low charger voltage? theory as I can?t see how either of these could cause this odd behaviour.

Seems to be that the ?battery charge management? chip is getting its knickers in a twist and cutting the battery off at too high a voltage and is getting ?reset? when I put it back on charge.

Does this sound plausible? Anyhow, as long as I can easily restart it it?s not a huge problem but it is curious.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Long enough to vacuum the hearth, the sitting room, the hall and the stairs.

Bravo! You?ve managed to repeat what I said. Got anything new to add though?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Could somebody have replaced the battery at some time with a non standard one? It reminds me of those in cartridges that spuriously say they are empty when they are not. There is just too much tech being used these days. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

No, had it from new Brian.

Tim

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) snipped-for-privacy@bluey> Could somebody have replaced the battery at some time with a non standard > one?

Reply to
Tim+

When did you last clean the air filter(s) (I say filters because some have more than one)? I don't honestly believe that will be the cause but tech does odd things occasionally!

Reply to
Graham Harrison

*sigh*

And just how would blocked filters produce the exact symptoms my vacuum cleaner has? Would blocked filters make it recover after reconnection to the charger for a few seconds? I think not...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Because I had one that did just that. I have NO idea why just that when I cleaned everything it worked.

YMMV.

Reply to
Graham Harrison

Well forgive my scepticism but in my experience blocked filters have always caused pulsing of the motor, not just sudden death.

It only has one filter that looks clean (washed not that long ago). I could wash again it but until you convince me that your symptoms were exactly the same as mine I?m gonna hold fire.

Did yours pulse?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

i have one that does exactly eh same, so I will be pleased if a solution is found.

Reply to
Broadback

The same as what though? Does yours pulse on and off? If not can you please describe exactly what it does.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Why waste time? If it's pulsing/vibrating give it to the missus and buy a new one. Of course, you may have mistaken her favourite toy for the Dyson...

Reply to
Richard

Blocked filters will increase the load on the motor to the extent it may cycle in and out of overload shut-down or simply not have enough current ability left in the battery to run.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It does not pulse. It simply stops after a very short time. When I put it on charge it either charges up quickly of takes its time. Next time I use it sometimes it behaves correctly other times it fails after seconds.

Reply to
Broadback

If that the tapered "washable" filter about 6" long they are a right PITA to properly wash. Unless you're very fussy and careful all you end up with is a load of solidified (once dry) kack in the bottom of the cone.

A blocked filter causes pulsing of the motor at least in "normal" suck mode. Not sure if the higher suction setting would cause it just to trip once and set the battery management chip into "overload" mode that would be reset by placing back into the charger. Can't see why it simply doesn't trip again when removed after a few seconds and used unless the suck mode drops to "normal".

What ever I go with the battery management getting confused. The management is more than just a charge control. It latches "off" in the event of an overload and also if left for too long in kit with a very light load that discharges the battery to far (FSVO: too long and too far). If the battery's voltage is still within "good" limits just putting the thing on charge will reset the management. In the case of the long slow discharge it might need a bit of a kick to reset, ie connect a PP3 directly across the battery terminals.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Either the motor management (pulsing) or the battery management (off) overload shutdown.

Generic filters are cheap enough on eBay to buy a couple.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Okay, this does sound like my symptoms. I?m still sceptical that it?s just the filter but I?ve lobbed it in the washing machine and we?ll see if that makes a difference.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Well that is my experience when there?s any sort of system blockage.

My battery still seems to have plenty of battery capacity.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+