Dyson V59 charger - Replace?

I have a charger for a Dyson V59. The nominal output voltage is 26v. My meter shows the actual output voltage when not charging is 23.1v
I use the charger with a Dyson V6 and when I put the V6 on the charger all I get is a clicking noise from the motor. There is no blue light on the battery.
Should I conclude that the charger needs to be replaced? I don't suppose that anyone has checked the output voltage of a known good charger.
--
Michael Chare

The question is, why should the motor even be active when charging the unit? Brian
--
----- --

Because that’s how the better rechargeable do it.

On 16/06/2019 23:06, Brian Gaff wrote:

Possibly because the on/off switch is faulty and stuck in the on position. In this scenario the charger cannot provide enough power to charge the battery and run the machine at the same time.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

on 16/06/2019, Michael Chare supposed :

Checking the voltage without a suitable load, is absolutely meaningless.
Many chargers don't output a voltage to a battery, unless they 'see' the voltage of a battery at the output.
On 17/06/2019 08:39, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I removed the battery unit from the rest of the device and tried charging it by itself. It does not charge and I can't measure any voltage on the ouput terminals even when I press the power on switch.
The charger now shows a voltage of 6.3v with no load.
The battery unit was a non Dyson replacement bought on ebay last December. There is a 1 year warranty. I ordered another ebay non Dyson replacement which cost a little less and surprisingly has a 3 year warranty. The battery units contain the switch and some electronics. It appears impossible to take them apart without destoying the outer plastic shell.
--
Michael Chare

Michael Chare submitted this idea :

I would expect the charger's voltage to just wander aimlessly about, it means nothing at all without a loud applied to it.
Even a flat battery should have some voltage across it.
On 17/06/2019 18:27, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I did take the cover off the previous battery unit and it did contain some electronics. It is a pity I threw it out as I could have used it to try and work out which bit is faulty. The electromics might cut off the output terminals when the six battery cells themselves are discharged normally.
On Monday, 17 June 2019 17:46:30 UTC+1, Michael Chare wrote:

I have a dyson V6 fluffy here, I've just checked the PSU voltage from the 2.1mm barrel conector without a load and it's 26.3V .

So send it back it;s only been 6 months or so.
Unless the company can and does actaully honour the warrenty then the warrenty is meaningless, you can give a 100 year warranty.

Making the warrenty invalid I assume.

On 18/06/2019 11:12, whisky-dave wrote:

Thanks. The V6 works fine with a replacement battery unit which just arrived.

--
Michael Chare

whisky-dave wrote:

I'd be ashamed to admit I had a vacuum that looked like a prop from Ghostbusters ...