Dyson V59 charger - Replace?

I have a charger for a Dyson V59. The nominal output voltage is 26v. My meter shows the actual output voltage when not charging is 23.1v

I use the charger with a Dyson V6 and when I put the V6 on the charger all I get is a clicking noise from the motor. There is no blue light on the battery.

Should I conclude that the charger needs to be replaced? I don't suppose that anyone has checked the output voltage of a known good charger.

Reply to
Michael Chare

The question is, why should the motor even be active when charging the unit? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Possibly because the on/off switch is faulty and stuck in the on position. In this scenario the charger cannot provide enough power to charge the battery and run the machine at the same time.

Reply to
alan_m

on 16/06/2019, Michael Chare supposed :

Checking the voltage without a suitable load, is absolutely meaningless.

Many chargers don't output a voltage to a battery, unless they 'see' the voltage of a battery at the output.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I removed the battery unit from the rest of the device and tried charging it by itself. It does not charge and I can't measure any voltage on the ouput terminals even when I press the power on switch.

The charger now shows a voltage of 6.3v with no load.

The battery unit was a non Dyson replacement bought on ebay last December. There is a 1 year warranty. I ordered another ebay non Dyson replacement which cost a little less and surprisingly has a 3 year warranty. The battery units contain the switch and some electronics. It appears impossible to take them apart without destoying the outer plastic shell.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Michael Chare submitted this idea :

I would expect the charger's voltage to just wander aimlessly about, it means nothing at all without a loud applied to it.

Even a flat battery should have some voltage across it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I did take the cover off the previous battery unit and it did contain some electronics. It is a pity I threw it out as I could have used it to try and work out which bit is faulty. The electromics might cut off the output terminals when the six battery cells themselves are discharged normally.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I have a dyson V6 fluffy here, I've just checked the PSU voltage from the 2.1mm barrel conector without a load and it's 26.3V .

So send it back it;s only been 6 months or so.

Unless the company can and does actaully honour the warrenty then the warrenty is meaningless, you can give a 100 year warranty.

Making the warrenty invalid I assume.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Thanks. The V6 works fine with a replacement battery unit which just arrived.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I'd be ashamed to admit I had a vacuum that looked like a prop from Ghostbusters ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

replying to Michael Chare, Conrad wrote: My Dyson SV10 appears to be not charging. It worked the last time we used it , then we hung it to charge and hasn?t worked since. There is a flashing blue light when it?s on charge but stays at one bar.

Reply to
Conrad