'Halogen' in Ceramic Hob

Would it be a triumph of hope over experience to try to replace/fix a 'blown' 'halogen' in a ceramic hob? (NEFF about 10 years old) I don't seem to be able to find 'halogens' on sale anywhere by Googling, either. New hobs with a 'halogen' are amazingly expensive :-(

Reply to
GPG

powerstation

Nice to see that they're close to ten times the price of the older red heating elements. I wonder if they are ten times as efficient. Looks like just another case of British business acumen,........ Maximise profit and **ck the customer.

Chris.

Reply to
mcbrien410

Nobody forces you to buy a halogen hob in the shop, buy the old style instead.

Reply to
powerstation

Have used this lot before. Very helpful

R obbo

It would be a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Easy and cheap. I've done it myself a week or two ago and I was surprised how painless it was. These things are remarkably similar across brands so here's what I would recommend based on my Creda:

Switch it off at the consumer unit and the wall switch (better safe than sorrry). Remove the hob from the worktop. It's probably held in by a couple of brackets from underneath. Keeping it the normal way up (important) remove all of the screws around the side and prise off the controls. Lift away the glass top. The elements are probably just resting in place on springy holders. Look underneath the dead one and record any markings. Measure its diameter and note its power rating. As a check take a resistance measurment on the suspect element, it should be between 30 and 50 Ohms if it's good and infinite if it's dead. If you're lucky the manufacturer will be knowledgable and helpful and will supply you a new part for a reasonable price. Stop laughing, Creda were exactly that. I quoted the 10 year old model number and told them which ring it was. They supplied the replacement for =A334 which was =A36 less than any other supplier I could find except for one guy on ebay. Admitedly the part I needed was a "solarglow" not a halogen but in my research I came across lots of them too and none were more than about =A360. If the hob manufacturer can't or won't help there are plenty of second sources and it appears there are only a very small number (like two or three, Solarspeed in the Midlands and Eika in Spain are the only ones I found) companies who actually make the elements anyway and even then they are interchangable in many cases. If you've got anything fancy like "hob hot" indications make sure you get an element which supports this too. When you get the new element you will need to transfer the mounting tabs from the old one, making sure you get them in the same positions. Then, as they say in all the good manuals "reassembly is the reverse of removal" and in this case it's true but you also need to add the steps of admiring your work and congratulating yourself on how much you've saved over getting an engineer out.

Good luck, Calvin

Reply to
Calvin

Thanks to all of you who responded. I now feel confident that I can do it. I haven't done it yet because one dare not risk having one's cooker totally out of action during the festive season.

Reply to
GPG