Hadrians Wall

Drawn on 3 different Scottish banks, one of which isn't propped up by the taxpayer.

Reply to
mcp

Propped up by the Australians, isn't it?

Reply to
Windmill

But that nice Mr. Salmond says they will.

So that's alright then.

One of the defining features of the Yes campaign has been telling me what I am going to do for them when they are independent. Even yesterday, Salmond was insisting that the rUK will enter into a currency union with Scotland.

Will we ? Any party dares to threaten that will not get many votes in

2015 ....
Reply to
Jethro_uk

He does remind me of Blackadder's sea captain.

Reply to
Adrian

He has to hope there will be such a monetary union. It takes several years to establish the convergence criteria for joining the Eurozone, so, without Sterling, Scotland will have to issue its own currency*, which is not likely to inspire much confidence in the international markets.

  • Calling this the pound would save the cost of reprinting Scottish bank notes, which would doubtless appeal to frugal Scots.

There would also need to be a policy to deal with what happens to all the Bank of England and Royal Mint issued money currently in circulation in Scotland.

Reply to
Nightjar

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 10:56:36 +0100, Nightjar He has to hope there will be such a monetary union.

Well, who here will vote for a party which promises it ?

Not I. (Not that I was anyway).

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Since we (in the UK) were promised a referendum on joining a monetary union with the rest of Europe should we also be promised one on joining a monetary union with an independent Scotland?

Perhaps if we had been promised that then Alex Salmond might think twice about assuming that he could negotiate one regardless since it would be up to the people and not the politicians.

Reply to
Andrew May

Liquorice writes >On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 22:1

0:15 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote: > >> Over 60 miles at the eastern end. > >60 miles of what was it the "desolate north" ... > >Doesn't help the the A1 o r A68 are just normal, one lane each way, A >roads. Last time I went up the A1 it was like a cart track the >surface was breaking up so much, this was just after winter 2009/10 >or 2010/11 though. > >At least at the other end it's motorway all the way to Glasgow, >though some is only 2 lanes each wa y. The Cumberland Gap was closed >quite a while back. > What will happen wi th law enforcement? Will we have the border raiders back, sheep rustling et c. Hot pursuit up to the border then what? -- bert

Ravishing of women.

Reply to
zaax

Goodness, no. The people might vote in favour of it. As it stands, if the politicians do agree to monetary union, it will be tied up with so many conditions that Salmond will wish he hadn't got it.

Reply to
Nightjar

That is an entirely different matter. The problem Salmond has is that, if people understood the consequences of not getting monetary union, the No campaign would gain an enormous amount of ground.

Reply to
Nightjar