Grounding or Earthing

Rainy Sunday, checking emails, and I see a link to yet another article about Grounding. Not, as usually discussed here, making electrical equipment and circuits safer with protective earthing, but making us healthier. Rather than repeating - have a look here:

in short form:

seems to have developed as a topic over the last year or so - and there are several web sites dedicated to grounding products.

I have seen people spending loads on bed sheets with silver threads that connect to the earth in a bedside socket. And all sorts of other things. Some claim complete transformation through doing so.

Being a sceptic, it looks to me like another way of flogging a whole load of products at inflated prices to the gullible.

And there are little things that don't seem feasible like suggesting you can adequately check the earthing in your socket using one of the plug-in mis-wiring detectors. And use of the Body Voltage Detector "available from Radio Shack".

That link ends with:

"Grounding May Be the Missing Link to Getting Healthy

Earthing may be one of the most important overlooked factors in public health. When grounding is restored, many people report significant improvement in a wide range of ailments, including chronic fatigue.

These changes are rapid and often occur within 30 minutes.

To date all of the individuals who reported that they had inflammatory issues have benefited from Earthing. This includes people with various severe autoimmune diseases. Note that we do not assert that Earthing is a "treatment" or a "cure" for any disease or disorder. Instead, it can be said without any equivocation that the human body evolved in contact with the Earth and needs to maintain this natural contact in order to function properly.

When you provide your body a constant source of free electrons, through diet or grounding you help to radically reduce inflammation which is widely acknowledged as one of the primary factors contributing to premature aging and chronic disease."

I'd be interested in any opinions.

Reply to
polygonum

>> Or, in short form:

The placebo effect is surprisingly powerful and strongly correlated with the amount that the suckers pay the charlatan that sells you the quack medicine. The silver threads in the sheet if actually silver might have a mild antiseptic effect. Silver spoons did work slightly.

It is probably very carefully crafted phrasing by lawyers.

Unless you are an unprotected semiconductor chip there is little to fear from static electricity on the human body. The occasional spark off a Sainsbury's trolley when it is frosty is about the limit.

Won't harm a human at all. Will destroy PC memory chips which is why you

*should* have an earthing strap on the chassis and yourself with the PC *completely* disconnected from mains (or if a portable the battery removed) when working on it.
Reply to
Martin Brown

See that snake, it has some oil it wants to sell.

Any connection with Russ Andrews?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's unmitigated c*ck.

Reply to
Huge

Then it should be easy to do scientific controlled experirments...

I suspect snake oil though...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Hey! I didn't say "oxygen-free silver threads with crystal alignment cold-drawn in a zero-magnetic field".

Reply to
polygonum

Those turkey-sized rolls of bacofoil should be arriving in shops soon, could make a good duvet cover ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I follow a diabetes newsgroup. Mercola isn't highly regarded there!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Complete and utter tosh, until shown otherwise by randomised double blind trials.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

For clarity - that is only one of many sites which talk about grounding. Ain't only Mercola!

Reply to
polygonum

Just out of interest, which NG?

Reply to
David WE Roberts

A fool and his money are easily parted. There are plenty enough fools for people to have built up quite lucrative businesses parting them from their money.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It's all total bollocks of course, still not sure what they are selling.

Are the figures quoted for the distance electrons move broadly true?

Reply to
Graham.

Graham. wrote: total bollocks of course, still not sure what they are

The figures used are so vague that the answer is maybe. They are within the limits of sanity for a reasonable current density. There is a formula which you could use to work it out.

There are worked examples here:-

John Williamson

alt.support.diabetes, which is mostly US oriented although it has subscribers from other countries. There is also alt.support.diabetes.UK which is barely active, alt.health.diabetes which used to be more medical/technical but I haven't looked recently and uk.people.support.diabetes which I've never looked at. I can't recommend any of them for the recently-diagnosed though. The one I know most about, the first on that list, used to be good, but over the years has polarised into two camps, those who support a very low carbohydrate diet and those who don't, and they fire off references to published medical research at each other to support their own POV.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Oi!, you missed out the "Woven by Virgins under the right sort of Moonlight"..

Thats why there're so bloody expensive!.

Tried to find virgins to do that job;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

a.s.diabetes is currently a troll infested waste of time (IMHO, of course...). Chung was the first person to go into my "delete unread and kill the thread" bozo bin. The group at misc.health.diabetes is slightly better, being just about usable with a couple of easily killfiled trolls, and all the posters from a.s.d.uk were forced into a forum by spamming and trolling by a few posters.

You'll find them here:-

's moderated and you need to be approved to join, but it is useful for the newly diagnosed as well as others who are developing new (to them) problems, as there are many diabetics there with decades of experience, as well as some medical types.

Reply to
John Williamson

I wonder if Russ Andrews is reading this thread. A new marketing opportunity for him for high quality earthing wires.

Actually, I think this one belongs in the placebos can work for you drawer.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's going to cure my diabetes, After reading the article and standing barefoot in the garden, in the rain, for a few hour the doctor now says I'm going to die from pneumonia.

Short term, it's cured the gout in my finger. On the other hand, it may have been the Diclofenac Sodium tablets prescribed last Thursday.

Reply to
alan

How did we get onto computer chips? Actually a lot of chips now do have protection built in, but it is of course not foolproof which is why one needs to be careful. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff