Grohe g2000 thermostatic mixer

I am intending to replace my existing thermostatic mixer shower (Mira) as it continually drips, despite having had a complete set of replacement washers.

I have been looking at the grohe g2000 thermostatic shower which is on offer at plumb center for =A3150.

In the technical instructions for the shower

states:

Thermostat mixers are designed for hot water supply via pressurised storage heaters and, utilised in this way, provide the best temperature accuracy. With sufficient power output (from 18 kW or 250 kcal/min), electric or gas instantaneous heaters are also suitable. Thermostats cannot be used in conjunction with nonpressurised storage heaters (displacement water heaters).

Currently the shower is supplied via the tank in the loft and the hot water cylinder. The house is three stories high so there is quite a bit of pressure.

Should this type of shower work? I don't really want to go to the expense or bother of installing a pump,

The current flow rate in the existing shower is quite sufficient. Although I don't think the shower is set up properly as you need to have the cold water tap in the sink running to enable the right temperature. (Another reason to replace in these drought conditions.)

Any advice appreciated. Tim

Reply to
deckertim

On 21 Apr 2006 02:16:03 -0700 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote this:-

Yes, provided that you get one that is designed to work at (relatively) low pressure. There are some of these on the market, but most are designed to work at higher pressures.

Reply to
David Hansen

The current flow rate in the existing shower is quite sufficient. Although I don't think the shower is set up properly as you need to have the cold water tap in the sink running to enable the right temperature. (Another reason to replace in these drought conditions.)

Could it be that the cold feed to the shower is from the mains? It shouldn't be - installed correctly it will have a feed direct from the loft storage tank to provide pressure equal to that of the hot water. You can test if this is the case by turning off the mains at the stopcock and seeing whether you still get cold water at the sink and shower (they obviously share the same feed).

Mark

Reply to
MarkK

Could it be that the cold feed to the shower is from the mains?

I thought this as well, but I can confirm that it is connected to the storage tank.

Reply to
deckertim