Adapted Bathrooms for the Elderly and Disabled - a Warning...

My parents, in their eighties, urgently needed a new invalid-safe bathroom to be installed so that my father could be discharged from hospital, and go home.

I approached people that I took to be experts - Dolphin Special Care=99

- to do the job.

This web site is a public record of my and my parents' experience:

Pachiderm

Its a trivial point, but I think some of your loft tank info could do with a bit of a brush up, or maybe removing.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The wash hand basin should have mains cold water for teeth cleaning etc, but plenty don't. Even if the header tank only feeds the hot water system there is still the chance of getting that water into the mouth when showering or bathing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In many parts of the country it was/is a requirement that bathroom water comes from a tank and not mains? Only the kitchen tap is mains?

Seem to remember loads of arguement on this a few years ago?

Reply to
EricP

On 21 Apr 2006 05:53:57 -0700 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote this:-

Agreed. A lot of the stuff about cold water tanks in the loft is, at best, personal axe-grinding. The original poster has "cleverly" produced a web site that one cannot link to the pages of, the home page comes up when I put the actual link into my browser

so one cannot dissect it easily.

Sadly, some may be taken in by this personal axe-grinding. However, the advantages and disadvantages of the various systems have been fully discussed here, for those with an open mind. The choices are fare more finely balanced than some think.

I'm entirely happy to drink the water from the tank in my house, as well as brush my teeth etc. It is, of course, protected from insects and larger animals, dust and temperature extremes. The base of the tank also contains a little gunge, which has come from the "clean" mains water coming into the house.

Reply to
David Hansen

On 21 Apr 2006 05:53:57 -0700 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote this:-

Having had a further look, the bit on the fused connection unit also needs a bit of a brush up.

Reply to
David Hansen

Whilst I have no time for Dolphin/Moben/Sharp I do agree that it does no one any good to bring the bastards to book with the wrong facts.

A loft sited storage cistern complying with Reg30 will have a close fitting cover and fly screens on the breather vent and overflow fitting. You wouldn't get a sparrow dead or alive let alone a crow.

The fact that many installations can be found which do not comply with the regs is lamentable but hardly not something that can be directly pinned on Dolphin.

There _maybe_ some valid reasons why the previous bathroom was supplied with mains cold water and without knowing more about the installation it's hard to say whether the move to cistern fed supply was better or worse.

Likewise on the electrics the zone under the bath tub is treated differently if that space can only be access by using a tool. The required IP rating for the inaccessible fittings may well be IP22 (I need to look it up).

I would say the probability that the installers have neither checked not installed the required supplementary E-E bonding in the bathroom is 90%+ and that would be a valid criticism.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

He seems to have removed the lever operated basin taps which though they look like 1950's NHS styling, are probably ideal for arthitic fingered senior citizens, and replaced them with a standard kitchen mixer tap from a shed. So we can asssume his old folk are nimble fingered and have a strange need to fill buckets at the bathroom sink. And why is the water at 60 deg. That sounds excessive for old folk and will put up their fuel bill.

john2

Reply to
john2