Greenstar CDi 40 - Best Buy?

My plumber has recommended a Worcester-Bosch Greenstar 40 CDi comb

condensing boiler for our biggish 4 bed home. Does anybody have an experience with this boiler? The spec is impressive but what abou reliability? Also what price should you expect to pay for this boiler Does anyone know the best(cheapest) source for this boiler? Thanks for any help you can give. Cheers Jimb

-- Jimbo

Reply to
Jimbo

The make is well regarded. The 40kW (or thereabouts) is a huge gas rate and will require 28mm gas pipework unless the meter is underneath the boiler. It will produce a respectable flow of HW.

The minimum output of this boiler is likely to be around 10-15kW which is probably more than is needed for your house heating except in exceptionally cold weather. This means you will loose a bit of efficiency on the heating side for the convenience of having such a good HW performance. You might therefore consider the next size down as more suitable.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

You size combis by the DHW flowrate. The W-B is 16 litres/min, so the next size down will give less than this - not wise. I would go for an Alpha CD50 (5 year guarantee), which is about 19-10 litres/min flowrate and modulates the CH output from 7kW to 30kW.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

And has the benefit of instant hot water due to the built in tank (just had mine fitted)

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The resident lunatic here kept saying that the Alpha can't fill bath properly. Is that so? Those I have seen fill 'em zippo.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

What about the Worcester Greenstar Highflow 440, 20l/min, 60l storag ??? Opinions please.

Mar

-- mark harrison

Reply to
mark harrison

V good.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

A Zippo only has a tank capcity of about 7ml, so it's hardly much of a test.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Try 60 litres.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I have one of these. Been installed for about 2 months now. Is great No probs. Bought it through a local plumber who matched interne prices, and got the boiler for £1000, then went for the remot thermostat (no wires). Watch out for the flue pieces as these ar expensive. A 1m section costs £45 including VAT, so siting your boile miles away from a wall will cost you a small fortune in flue extension alone.

Flow rates great, fills bath as quick as with my old conventiona system, but showers are powerful and great. Quiet running and ver simple to install. 22mm gas pipe is more than enough for this boiler and commissioning is a piece of ****

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

I suppose a 'whoosh' is in order...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Must have been a poorly designed one. 40 litres/minute at 60C is the norm for a storage system. No combi can match that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It isn't.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It is.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or a 'woof' if he tries to fill it with 60 litres.

Reply to
Steve Firth