Greek Plumbing

Can anyone help with a plumbing problem here in Greece?

On the bathroom floor is a small round chrome grate which allows spilled water from the over bath shower to drain away. The waste water from the bath and sink also runs through this grate. As this shallow drain fills with gunk and hair from the bath and sink SHMBO gave it a thorough cleaning. Ever since there has been a nasty drain smell coming from this grating.

As we all have septic tanks here in Greece can this be the source of the smell? surly there must be some sort of trap associated with this in floor drain. It seems strange that after cleaning it this drain has started to smell.

Any ideas??

Pictures here:

Pic 1:

is the actual drain Pic 2:
is the outlet (is this some sort of trap?) Pic 3:
is from the sink Pic 4:
is from the bath

Thanks for any suggestions

Martyn

Reply to
Knotty

[...]

Thanks for any suggestions or tips

Martyn

Reply to
Knotty

I wonder if the 'gunk' was acting as a one way valve and stopping smells from blowing back up the pipes. Sorry I have no answer - but what you describe is very common on the continent.

Reply to
John

|Can anyone help with a plumbing problem here in Greece? | |On the bathroom floor is a small round chrome grate which allows spilled |water from the over bath shower to drain away. The waste water from the |bath and sink also runs through this grate. As this shallow drain fills |with gunk and hair from the bath and sink SHMBO gave it a thorough |cleaning. Ever since there has been a nasty drain smell coming from this |grating. | |As we all have septic tanks here in Greece can this be the source of the |smell? surly there must be some sort of trap associated with this in |floor drain. It seems strange that after cleaning it this drain has |started to smell. | |Any ideas?? | |Pictures here: | |Pic 1:

is the actual drain |Pic 2:
is the outlet |(is this some sort of trap?) |Pic 3:
is from the sink |Pic 4:
is from the bath | |Thanks for any suggestions or tips | |Martyn

We have a septic tank at our French house. Crucial question is; what did she clean the drains with? If it was an anti-bacterial or strong detergent or bleach it could easily have stopped the bacterial process in the tank and that can cause awful smells.

Also worth checking that the septic system itself has a vent between the last inlet in the house and the tank. This vent should rise above the top of the highest window in the house. It could rise internally (and through the roof of the house), or externally.

Last thing: If the part of the system you describe does not have toilet wast running through it, can you fit an extra trap in the exit pipe (after the last drain, possibly outside)?

Hope this helps.

Reply to
HowieC

Are you sure there isn't a bit missing -- a sort of funnel shaped piece which slots in to form a bottle trap with the water retained in the bottom?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Same in my wetroom floor, shallow trap, except there's a bit missing, a plastic collar that stops a couple of mm above the bottom of the trap, but below the water level, stopping the smells.

Reply to
Keith

Thanks to all who replied.

I have found out that the hole seen here:

lost its rubber bung. Now to try to find one!!

Reply to
Knotty