Varnish/clear resin recommendations - sanded oak T & G floor?

Dear DIYers, I have just sanded a 2 x 4 m bedroom floor in my "heat pump" house project (much amused and mainly agreeing with TNPhilosopher whose musings I have just read!) and want to tap in on the combined expertise of the group. WEAR The requirements are for a product that will WEAR EVENLY (Clark's Permanent Floor Fininsh two pack - smells like hell - which I used in the late 1970s only required one or two layers but chipped badly in areas of high use and I had to replace it with single pack polyurethane in lots of - about 6 (!) - coats). NUMBER OF APPICATIONS It would be good if this can be kept to an optimum minimum number - no mor than three please - so a product that goes on in a decent thickish layer would be better than 7 coats of a thin layer SMELL Preferably not smelling too bad Desirable but not essential AVAILABILITY Easy to get by 12 noon today in Anglesey!

Absent any other advice, I plan on a decent quality polyurethane single pack in three coats with the first coat a thinned down first coat as a "primer".

Any recommendations on makes and application methods most welcome! Chris

Reply to
mail

Rustins stuff is pretty good, and not overly expensive.

Reply to
stuart noble

A strong recommendation from me for a wax-based preparation called Osmo. It doesn't colour the wood, it just allows the natural grain to show through. Osmo is very durable. It is fairly expensive per litre but it goes a verrrry loooong way!

Bruce

I think it's a little cheeky of them to suggest that all lacquers flake and peel off.

Reply to
stuart noble

It was over six hours too late anyway. :-)

Reply to
Rod