Gravel

I'm re-doing my fronty garden and I need to find a cheap supplier of gravel/aggregate. Any ideas where might be cheapest?
I need enough to cover approx 17 square metres.. Probably just want standard golden gravel.
Thanks

Any builders merchant can probably get you what you need. Is the gravel going on soft ground? How deep are you going with it? How much of an angle / slope does the garden have on it, if any?

Get used to cats using your new gravel as a litter tray!
Thomarse wrote:

Find a local supplier who will drop you a lorry load on to the site (assuming that's appropriate for your needs) - it's likely to be a lot cheaper that way than buying it in those 1-ton jumbo bags, which is how most builder's merchants provide it.
David

You get your money back on the hire of the bag.
BigWallop wrote:

Not the last bag I got. One drop only - non-returnable, non-reusable.
(I think there is something to do with the integrity of the bag once it has undergone the whole fill/deliver/use processes.)
--
Rod

Crap bags? We are charged 5 pounds for the hire of the bag, but it goes back to get filled again and again. If it bursts on its way to the site, that's their fault for handling it badly.
BigWallop wrote:

we used to but no more. Elfin Safety.
BigWallop wrote:

Don't think I have ever seen a returnable one in these parts (the delivery drivers for some of the builders merchants will take them if you offer, but there is no refund)
--
Cheers,

John.

The bags all appear to be non-returnable these days.
--
"I have never been able to conceive how any rational being could propose
happiness to himself from the exercise of power over others." - Thomas Jefferson

Isn't it H&S? Once the bag has been used, left on site and then returned to the builders' merchant no one knows how much its safe working limits have deteriorated.
--
PeterMcC

Huge wrote:

I've never seen a returnable one either.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

When we laid our gravel drive (actually, gravel over tarmac) about 10 years ago, the bags (from Gibbs & Dandy) were returnable and had a deposit that made it worthwhile to do so. When we topped off the gravel (for the first time) a few weeks ago, and constructed a gravel garden, the bags (from G&D and Buildbase) were not returnable. They appear to be identical to the returnable ones, so I guess the H&S excuse is reasonable. Seems like a terrible waste, all the same.
--
"I have never been able to conceive how any rational being could propose
happiness to himself from the exercise of power over others." - Thomas Jefferson
Huge wrote:

Use it at the Sainsburys check out and you'll get a Nectar point.

I know we eat a lot, but even I think 1 tonne bags are probably overkill.
--
"I have never been able to conceive how any rational being could propose
happiness to himself from the exercise of power over others." - Thomas Jefferson
On 21 Nov,

they are very handy for getting hedge cuttings and conifers to the tip without getting the car filled with bits. AAlso shortly, crimble trees.
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

That's why I keep them!
--
"I have never been able to conceive how any rational being could propose
happiness to himself from the exercise of power over others." - Thomas Jefferson
stuart noble wrote:

Unfortunately, that does not appear to be the case! We only ever get points for JS' *own* bags being recycled - not when we use 'foreign' ones. :-(
--
Rod

Thomarse wrote:

Yellow pages and look for aggregate suppliers. If you want more than about 10 tons, get it straight from nearest quarry in a tipper lorry.
Thomarse wrote:

Did mine a few years ago. Look under 'Aggregates' in YP rather than going to one of the sheds. You are going to need about 1 to 1.5 tonne to give a decent thickness - any less than about 30mm & it looks bare.
Go for 18mm gravel NOT 10mm pea shingle. 18mm tends to stay put, 10mm wanders about all over the place. Stick a decent fabric under for weed control.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk