Grand Designs

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , Mike Mitchell writes

Kevin is a very good presenter. He makes it obvious when he thinks people are going about things the wrong way. If you have watched all the series you will know that the best designs seem to come from the people who are willing to do a lot of the work themselves - and the worst results come from those with loadsa money and no taste.

When I was having problems persuading my insurers not to put back the cement render that had already damaged my house, Kevin was most helpful in suggesting mixes, and suppliers, of lime-based renders. After all he has built his own straw bale house, which I guess few other presenters have done.

J.

Reply to
John Rouse

What's the matter with little Miss Dominatrix?!! She's GORGEOUS! Can't you just imagine her in a tight black leather suit and thigh boots to match?

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

I think you are confusing techniques. Tudor type timber frames had their rigidity from the joints and the sheer bulk of the timber. Near trees were used as they were fairly cheap, and easier to leave whole than to cut. Besides, they were solid in a world unpoliced except by neighbourliness.

Clappboard houses had a cross beam running diagonally every so many studs. This did the same job as ply in holding the frame rigid. I believe 5 x 2 was the material of choice then.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

now I see were you get your odd ideas about desirable house construction and design.

-- mark

Reply to
Mark

There's house design and construction, and there's recreational activities afterwards...

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Sorry, but I detest him. His unctuous attitude spoils the whole programme for me, which would be so much better with a Phil Spencer or a Monty Don. Even, dare I say it, Jeremy Clarkson, although that's another who is too full of it for his own good.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Well now I can... probably introduced to the scene by Naomii Cleaver Sad truth is she probably goes home to six cats.

Reply to
Toby

Hey, sounds like Pussy Galore!

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Actually the house is on a sheltered north-east facing slope, so unlikely to be affected by gales, but only gets morning sun. It's at Codmore Hill in Pulborough, turn right at the Rising Sun pub (just realised why the pub is so-named !). There used to be a sub-standard

30's house with various flat-roofed extensions on the plot, which slopes down at nearly 45 degrees. Empty since 1990, then auctioned in (I think) 1994/5 with a reserve price of 50K, but went for more than double. Horsham BCO made them use 'proper' roofing tiles which didn't quite fit the US design as I recollect.
Reply to
Andrew

In article , stuart noble

Reply to