Govt banning lightbulbs.... wot about halogens?

I note that it's been announced today that incandescent lightbulbs are to be phased out over the next couple of years:

'm not unduly perturbed (as most of my home is fitted with CFLs anyway) except that the kitchen and bathroom are fitted with low voltage halogen downlighters.

Presumably these will go the same way as conventional lightbulbs, won't they? If so, is there an alternative 'bulb' I'll be able to use, or will I need to replace the fittings? (and therefore my ceilings :-( )

David

Reply to
Lobster

Better to fix the source of thew problem, not the outcome.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I noticed the Brussels Idiots had pulled this out of the hat some time ago and wondered how long it would take to work through.

I think it's specifically aimed at tungsten filament lamps. They are only supposed to be 5% efficient for light, so it is probably a valid decision.

These are now ***BAD***, everything else is ***GOOD***

Just time to stock up on 150watt bulbs for decorating and the odd standard lamp.

Reply to
EricP

prior to this badly thought out idea coming into force.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

In article , Lobster writes

And how much energy will be wasted in replacing light fittings which cannot take CFLs (manufacture, installation and disposal)? Will we suddenly find that some of us want to have more light fittings than before due to the reduced light output (how much energy will that cost)? CFLs are great for work place lighting (with enough of them), utility areas, halls, stairs, etc. but they are not good for task lighting, mood lighting (except they are pre-dimmed) and feature lighting (e.g. over the pictures in our front room).

Me thinks a bulk order to Screwfix will be in order!

Reply to
John

full understanding of the subject.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The English language is not sufficient to express my shear undiluted loathing and total and absolute lack of respect for the individual concerned.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Well, it's less than optimal, that's for sure. If CFLs were actually better than incandescent lamps, consumers would already have switched. The fact that they haven't indicates that despite the propaganda, the shortcomings of CFLs are well known.

I make extensive use of CFLs in my own home, and have yet to find a truly adequate replacement for incandescents. The CRIs are too low, the switch-on time for spot-lamp replacements is too long, dimmable versions are expensive and don't dim to the orange cast of colour that I prefer in the late evening (I don't want daylight equivalent at

11pm).

It's gesture politics of the worst kind.

Sid

Reply to
unopened

Hmm, I stand accused of sitting on the fence here. I have had CFLs in my homes (one house at a time,not several) since the early 80's and have genuinely been satisfied with the reduction of my footprint on the planet, (and financial savings which have been real). I have just one filament bulb in the house (which is there purely as the best place for it to reside until it expires). Interestingly, I can't recall when it was purchased - it will be decades ago.

Reply to
clot

Gordon had better call an election quickly before the prat tars the whole party with the same brush.

First part P. Then HIPS. Now ban the Bulb.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I too have some halogen lights in bedrooms and kitchen. They don't appear to be the type talked about in the news so I'm assuming (hoping) that they'll live on. If anybody has any news to the contrary, post it on here and I'll start stocking up!

I also have an outside lantern which turns on dimly when it's dark outside and achieves full brightness when you walk up to it. It's not suitable for low energy lighting :o(

My lounge has a special switch which turns one set of lights on when it gets dark and stays on for a chosen number of hours (useful when at work in the winter) which again is not suitable for low energy lighting.

Finally, my dining room has a dimmer switch which, according to the instructions, is not suitable for low energy lighting.

Have I really got to replace all of these?

Kroma

PS It would appear that golfball shaped lights may survive from what I've read as there is currently no low energy equivalent so my lounge may survive!

Reply to
Kroma

years:

> I'm not unduly perturbed (as most of my home is fitted with CFLs anyway)

Something has to be done, unless you do not believe in climate change, or that the tons of particulates and gases we pour into the environment have no effect on health. Australia has already banned old style light bulbs.

For me, the change to CFLs is not an inconvenience at all compared to that of people in pourer countries who are experiencing drought and or flooding which is destroying there food sources and starving them. Are people really saying they would rather be able to dim a light than help stabalise the climate and possibly save some lives?

As for having outside lights on at night, why?. Answer, because they are cheap and available. Turn them off and check out the stars.

Reply to
nafuk

No, because it is pitch black outside and I can't see to walk without it. I can't even see to open the door. But I do try to help the environment... I have it dimmed to around 10% so it uses only 10W most of the time. Apart from my bulbs on timed switches (which are there for security reasons), halogens (which were in place when I bought the property) and dimmers I do have several low energy bulbs.

Reply to
Kroma

Bully for you.

Reply to
Huge

Yes indeed, and in many cases you can't do it yourself according to Part P so it is not surprising that the lighting industry and electricians associations are enthusiastically supporting this crass bit of stealth taxation.

As LED lighting will probably be the same order of magnitude more efficient than CFL's as CFL's now are than incandescent some time in the next year you can look forward to repeating the whole process again in about 5 years.

Reply to
Peter Parry

You mean you have carried this bulb from house to house since the

80's??

Did you install it in a battery powered torch and have a sprinter carry it between houses?

Reply to
zikkimalambo

Remember that policy decisions like this must always follow the law of unintended consequences. So if you can't get a 100W bulb, but you can get a set of 4 50W downlighters, then guess what people will use....

What else will they ban? Car headlamp bulbs, capsule lamps, oven lamps? How many of those can be imaginatively reused?

There is a whole bunch of control gear and home automation stuff that would stop working.

yup that would be another...

or order lightbulbs online from countries with less dim legislation.

Reply to
John Rumm

Plus, if there's demand for "banned" filament bulbs, and there will be, someone will start to satisfy it. Well, not "someone". The Chinese.

Perhaps HMG should switch off the floodlighting of the HoC and turn their attention to all the office buildings lit throughout the night?

Reply to
Huge

Golfball CFLs do exist - you can get them at IKEA - they're called 'SPARSAM'

E14: E27:

...so you are not safe.

Sid

Reply to
unopened

We could have new civil servants (job creation) along the lines of ARP wardens going round saying "Put that light out".

Sid :-)

Reply to
unopened