Google groups down for a week now

Woss this? You goofing off at work?

Reply to
Tim Streater

You install them as a user for just your own use.

Reply to
tinnews

Search got much better from version 3 - you can now do fairly decent searches, and keep search results and then search those etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

You install one on a computer you do have control over, or find a so called "Portable" edition of one that you can run without installation on someone else's computer. However that was not really the point I was attempting to address - and was primarily addressing harry's point that you are "stuck with the interface they give you".

Reply to
John Rumm

Because "what you like" was broken. It was entirely possible that it may have stayed that way had the outage been a policy decision by google rather than a genuine "fault" to be fixed.

How do I kill a thread in gg? or mark one that I think relevant so its easy to find later? Or just look only at threads that I have participated in recently that have new messages?

Perhaps these can be done, but one man's intuitive is not universal.

Each to his own... personally I find accessing usenet via a web interface pretty hideous and slow - but to an extent this is partly down to what you are used to.

IME not that often - but occasionally very useful.

Sometimes true... but then again I think it is worth respecting the time and effort of others to spend a bit of time yourself looking for something when you know it is out there.

Reply to
John Rumm

not working either.

Since the object of the exercise seems to be collating "content" into a site to sell advertising against, having it setup so you can throw up a new variant anywhere, with little effort and without needing a newsfeed, it makes sense.

Reply to
John Rumm

Which means I have to wait to trek home in order to access any newgroups, by which time I may have forgotten what it was I was looking for, or it may be too late to use the information.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston