Going round B&Q

In a new build! You just live somewhere that the planning department hasn't been hit with a big enough stick.

Reply to
dennis

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

Like, ooh, Tipton maybe.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

what if your B&Q is only 500 metres away and you just need a 12kg bag of plaster, get it delievered next day from amazon even if it is cheaper.

Reply to
whisky-dave

and they won't be expecting any sort of carreer move, in fact they'll probbely die from old age before they are due a pay rise too.

Reply to
whisky-dave

a fair starting point fro London and doesn't always include bills.

Reply to
whisky-dave

yeah pretty much:-)

You can JUST get a 1 bed flat for slightly less than that in tipton.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

Would that be with one satellite dish or two?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Yup, except for London. Less if you take a small room.

Minimum wage 2014:

21 and over 18 to 20 Under 18 Apprentice £6.50 £5.13 £3.79 £2.73 x40 hrs = ... £260, £205, £151.60 and £109.20

Food @ £2.50/day, which provides a varied healthy diet: £17.50

Only the apprentice who does no other paid income & doesn't take a smaller room would struggle. The others have disposable incomes of £142.50, £87 .50, £34.10 per week. Difficult my ass.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You expect decent cooking facilities included with a cheap small room?

You need to get out more.

You remind me of the many MPs etc who say it's easy to live on the dole or minimum wage. Until being asked to show this. Then fail miserably.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think you need more than £2.50. you'd be lucky to get a cup of coffee f or that.

r room would struggle. The others have disposable incomes of £142.50, £

87.50, £34.10 per week. Difficult my ass.

if you actaully want to live legally it'll cost you much more with transpor t costs, elcec, gas, TV licences and mobile costs and they'd need a mobile so you can phone them.

Reply to
whisky-dave

plaster, get it delievered next day from amazon even if it is cheaper.

That's quite a hypothetical situation but in such unplanned cases I'd proba bly find myself in Wickes. It might be a bad example however as whilst I sa id I DIY I should have caveated that with '...unless it's plastering' as it is probably the one thing I don't do!

For anything else though I tend to plan ahead, get quotes and buy from buil der's metchants, saw mills etc. Even for one-off unplanned purchases I usua lly find that SF and TS have what I need.

I've got nothing against B&Q per se; I just don't think I am in their targe t market given that I plan projects in advance and don't mind shopping arou nd to get the best deal. Indeed I am quite happy to do this - I get a good feeling for having stretched my pound further, and I inariably find that th e quality of the product is considerably better where such variations can e xist e.g. timber in particular.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

"less a modest handling charge to cover the administrations costs involved" (probably)

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Right. So whatever happened to 'get on your bike' to look for work?

Those on minimum wages are expected to live with their parents for free and be close enough to walk to work?

You're on a different planet as usual Wodney.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

f plaster, get it delievered next day from amazon even if it is cheaper.

Not for me as I live less than 500M from a Be here and Queue.

be a bad example however as whilst I said I DIY I should have caveated that with '...unless it's plastering' as it is probably the one thing I don't d o!

It's like I was explain tt a student sure he can buy a USB to RS232 convert er from aliexpress for 97p, but it's 30-60 days delivery your course finish es on 1st september, I suggest RS at around £12.

ilder's metchants, saw mills etc. Even for one-off unplanned purchases I us ually find that SF and TS have what I need.

If I had either of those close by I might compare prices a little more.

get market given that I plan projects in advance and don't mind shopping ar ound to get the best deal.

I don't either and I always check, even argos too.

etched my pound further, and I inariably find that the quality of the >prod uct is considerably better where such variations can exist e.g. timber in > particular.

I guess so, I rememebr helping my dad get timber from a tiber yard, we use d a pram and had to walk most of teh way in the road, took ages of so it se emed. Well 20mins and I'm not sure how the traffic would cope with us nowadays wi th the bus lanes and cycle route that are on the roads now.

Reply to
whisky-dave

a ring and an oven, yes.

I've lived on far less. I find it weird that so many people have no clue ho w to.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

ler room would struggle. The others have disposable incomes of £142.50, £87.50, £34.10 per week. Difficult my ass.

ort costs, elcec, gas, TV licences and mobile costs and they'd need a mobil e so you can phone them.

Transport depends on the situation. Elec & gas is usually included in £10

0 a week rooms, but not always. TV & license are for disposable income, and no relevance to the cost of living. A mobile costs a tenner a month, a non problem for the above wage levels.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

aller room would struggle. The others have disposable incomes of £142.50, £87.50, £34.10 per week. Difficult my ass.

sport costs, elcec, gas, TV licences and mobile costs and they'd need a mob ile so you can phone them.

100 a week rooms,

usually but by no means always.

If what you say in that it's not difficult to find such a place in London t hen how comes places like the above are on offer and people are willing and do pay that money for it. Also check out hostals, £10 or more per.

They are included in the cost of living.

In an ideal world yes but I've known people to be in these situations, and you've forgotten to include clothes and the cost of washing them.

This reminds me of the politition type that claims to be cycling to be gree n then has a car driving behind to carry all his persnal pappers and evertthi ng else he needs to do his work.

Regarding coffee, last week in sainsbury I pointed out to a member of staff that their canned coffee drinks was £1.40 each or 2 for £3. two days b efore they were two for £2 so I brought 4. The Following day there was no price on them, so I asked for them to he scanned as I was thinking of rest ocking. They are now £1.60 each or 2 for £2.50 he said. He asked me if I wanted them I said no they were 2 quid last week, I'll wait for them to c ome back down to 2 quid. So I let him put them back on the shelf.

Reply to
whisky-dave

[Snip]

I know a 90+ year old former head-teacher who cycled about 20 miles each way to work. However, on Fridays he left the bike at school - because he had too much paperwork to deal over the weekend. He took the Greenline coach home and back again on Monday morning. This use of the bike is probably why he lived as long a he has done.

Reply to
Charles Hope

He's lucky he doesn't have to cycle through central London then. What with the polution to breathe in and the risks of being taken out by just about any vehicle. I don;t think there's any evidence as to why he lived as long as he has. all those that live a long life recon they know the secret.

Jeanne Calment died age 122 Calment ascribed her longevity and relatively youthful appearance for her a ge to a diet rich in olive oil[4] (which she also rubbed onto her skin), as well as a diet of port wine, and ate nearly one kilogram (2.2 lb) of choco late every week. She also credited her calmness, saying, "That's why they c all me Calment."[17] Calment reportedly remained mentally intact until her very end.[4]

"I've never had but one wrinkle, and I'm sitting on it." Jeanne Calment[19]

Reply to
whisky-dave

No - it wasn't central London - it was the A3 between Tolworth & Guildford. But, it was 30 years ago when he retired, so traffic was a bit easier.

Mind you, I nearly lost my right arm 15 years ago when a car tried to pass me when there wasn't room. I haven't cycled since.

Reply to
Charles Hope