Glueing skirting boards to wall

Which is the best glue in a tube for this - solvent based ("no more nails" sort of thing) or non-solvent based (cheaper in Screwfix catalogue P111)

Thanks

Reply to
G&M

I use "grabs like nails" from B&Q. I make sure the gap is not too big, or dusty and hold the board to the wall if the wall is not quite straight. Once the glue is dry I use decorators filler to fill in the gaps.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Most are OK. They all air dry too quickly - that is, form a skin. Run a bead on the wall and a bead on the wood then fix with black screws every meter or so. They can be removed if they are not driven in deep enough.

I counterbore my wood first so I can leave them in. They are just there to grip the plasterboard while the glue sets.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Solvent based. Water based no-nails is actually really good stuff, and I use it lots for glueing sheet materials, but if you use it on thin wood like skirting the wood tends to cup a little (because of the water content).

Reply to
Grunff

Personally, I use screws. I prefer to screw things together, as it makes them removable. Nails and glue will mean that you need to destroy the skirting to remove it.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Given the way all 'real' wood moves in my house, I'd not trust any glue for this job either. Be ok if the skirting was MDF etc, though.

I doubt if you'd destroy the wood trying to remove it. The plaster, probably.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've certainly never got real nailed skirting off without severe damage. I've never tried with glued stuff. The only stuff I glued was 1 day before moving out of my last house, so I didn't really care.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I agree - if you leave the screw heads visible or have a perfect record of where they are! But if you want a perfect finish you cover them up and then screwed-on skirting can be much more difficult and destructive to remove later than glued or nailed skirting, as long as you make enough but not too many fixing points.

Reply to
rrh

Oh come on - how many people look at skirtings. I would go with screws any time, nails are a pain and it only needs one to go wrong and you really have a mess; and I'm old fashioned enough not to really like things that are glued.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

Well I hope somebody does. I'm putting in oak ones to match the beams and they ain't cheap.

Reply to
G&M

I used solvent-free gripfill (from BM). No probs yet, Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Never again will I use oak skirtings because the walls in my house are not straight and oak is really difficult to bend

Nick Brooks

Reply to
Nick Brooks

I find the best thing to use is "Nail and Seal" by EvoStick. It's solvent free, but it isn't a nasty acrylic based glue/sealer like most of the solvent stuff. It grabs and holds very well and unlike the solvent glues it doesn't skin-over in use.

It will also set well in contact with damp and has more tolerance of dust than other glues. The glue itself is MS-polymer which is used in the boatbuilding industry. It's much, much better than silicone as a sealant BTW and has the advantage that it can be removed before it cures by wiping with a rag dampened with "International" polurethane yacht varnish thinner. Cellulose thinners should also work.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Solvent based ("no more nails" sort of thing) is best.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

Yep. Same here. Butthey do look much better once done, don't they !

Reply to
G&M