Glue/filler for ceramic on hob

I have a hob (and Ilve one) on which one of the mains powered igniters has broken a bit. The section that feeds the spark voltage through the hob metalwork is still sound but the bit above that has split.

So, I need a way to repair the ceramic if possible. Can anyone suggest a glue/filler type of material that will cope with the temperature?

Reply to
Chris Green

It very much depends on how hot it gets. Some silicone sealants will cope with a few hundred centigrade, and may function as a glue in some circumstances, but most common glues are organic and carbon-based and will just char. Another possibility might be something like sodium silicate, aka waterglass, but this will only melt and form a bond at temperatures probably a lot higher than your bit of ceramic gets: red heat would be needed. Anyway they bubble and blister a lot as they're heated up which would disrupt any attempt to form a bond.

An alternative might be to thread some ceramic insulator beads onto the electrode, if you can, although how you keep them there I don't know

Chris Hogg