Glow worm rapid heat rise.

HI,

We have the Glow worm HXI, the problem I am expericing is that when the boiler is switched on there is a rapid temperature rise then the boiler cuts out with an error code F1. Ignition problems in the fault finding code.

We had this problem before and the overheat stat had to be reset.

Reply to
Hello

Is there a prize for the first correct guess for what you mean?

Reply to
DIY

Odd you should post this. I've just had a similar problem with my 18Hxi. After performing perfectly for just over a year, it started making loud banging noises. Following that, the temperature would rise rapidly on start often resulting in a F26 or F14 error before it cut out. Eventually an F5 lockout (overheat stat tripped) would happen. I called out Glow-worm who replaced the heat exchanger - it was full of sludge. This was done under warranty (I had to pay a substantial call-out charge, but the parts were free), which was very good of them considering it wasn't really their fault.

The sludge was a brown colour and looked like copper (flakes and particles), not iron (it wasn't attracted to a magnet, before you ask). I suspect the source of this is the Albion Mainsflow Direct thermal store the boiler's attached to. I've since cleaned out the store, and it's currently running with some Sentinel X400 to thoroughly clean it out (I'll flush this out and put inhibitor back in a few days).

I've bought a Y strainer to install, but this will obviously need checking/cleaning regularly and will only catch larger particles in the stainless mesh.

Does anyone have any ideas on the cause of this copper sludge (BTW I did use Fernox MB1), or how I can prevent it fouling the boiler/rads? I've done a Google for hydrocyclone separators, but these don't seem to be available for domestic use, and obviously a "Boiler Buddy" or "Magnaclean" isn't going to help much...

But enough of me, back to the OP: If the boiler is still under warranty, give Glow-worm a call. But you might want to check for a blockage in your pipework (or the flue for that matter, if the boiler won't stay lit) first.

-Antony.

Reply to
Antony Jones

Reply to