Gloss paint on front door

Hi,

I have spent the last weekend or so preparing a front door for painting - stripping it down, filling cracks etc. My first gloss topcoat today, applied using a brush, is drying - it has a couple of dribbles unfortunately, and is a bit thin in places - the primer can be see faintly. It seems much harder to apply evenly the primer was...

Can I sand it down slightly to key the surface and smooth the dribbles to apply a second topcoat?

Cheers,

Ben

Reply to
Ben

Yes. That's normal procedure.

Reply to
Roger Cain

Cheers. Any pointers for how to avoid dribbles for the final coat? Is it just a matter of using as little paint as possible?

Cheers,

Ben

Reply to
Ben

Yes. Not obvious, though. Not too little, not too much :-) Make sure you "lay off" the paint in opposing directions before giving a light vertical stroke to get the finish. It helps if the weather is not too hot and you allow the paint to reach ambient temperature before starting - I have had sagging after laying coolish (viscous) paint onto a surface which then heated up in the sun.

Reply to
Roger Cain