Raising a Beach Hut Platform

My beach hut spends the winter on the prom and the summer on a wooden platform on the beach. The beach slopes down from the prom, so the platform is about four foot high, resting on six 4x4 wooden legs (three on each side) which disappear into the sand and shingle. The whole thing looks like a giant six-legged table.

There was quite a bit of beach erosion this winter and the platform has sunk about a foot and slumped to one side. Two of the legs (the middle leg on each side) are now hanging in mid-air.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

My tentative plan for the two hanging legs is to drive metposts deep into the beach, put in new legs, and bolt them to the old legs and the platform frame. But I also need to raise and straighten the platform. I was thinking of putting up a pair of acro prop at the front of the platform, cutting the front legs, jacking up, then inserting new wood into the gap. Then repeating with the back legs. Does this make sense?

Thanks, Tim

Reply to
Tim

|!My beach hut spends the winter on the prom and the summer on a wooden |!platform on the beach. The beach slopes down from the prom, so the |!platform is about four foot high, resting on six 4x4 wooden legs (three |!on each side) which disappear into the sand and shingle. The whole thing |!looks like a giant six-legged table. |! |!There was quite a bit of beach erosion this winter and the platform has |!sunk about a foot and slumped to one side. Two of the legs (the middle |!leg on each side) are now hanging in mid-air. |! |!Any ideas on how to fix this? |! |!My tentative plan for the two hanging legs is to drive metposts deep |!into the beach, put in new legs, and bolt them to the old legs and the |!platform frame. But I also need to raise and straighten the platform. I |!was thinking of putting up a pair of acro prop at the front of the |!platform, cutting the front legs, jacking up, then inserting new wood |!into the gap. Then repeating with the back legs. Does this make sense?

Where are you? building anything *on* a beach is *as good as* illegal in the UK

1.1 Under Section 34 of the Coast Protection Act 1949, written consent from Scottish Ministers is required if any person or organisation intends to carry out any of the following around the coast of Scotland: ? the construction, alteration or improvement of any works on, under or over any part of the seashore lying below the level of mean high water springs;
Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

1 He's not actually building anything on the beach...He's reinforcing the existing to make it safe. 2 Local councils will offer advise on the best approach. 3 The deck is pre-existing, so any alterations might be subject to "Aesthetic" approval from the local authority. 4 If structurally unsound then preventing access to anyone passing might be a good idea for the time being until repairs are effected

robert